Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - virgin requires help?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

virgin requires help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: virgin requires help? Reply with quote

hi please help!
i have recently purchased ttnav5 (wired) which i am using on my ipaq 1710. i have been very happy with it and have found the basics very easy to use. what i want to know is. as i dont have bluetooth or a mobile with email, can i get speed camera, traffic details put on? also can i download a different voice (homer would be good). lastley what is tomtom plus? is this only for people with a bluetooth handset? if not does it offer value for money?
sorry if these seem like stupid questions, we all have to start someware!!!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the camera database using your pc and syn it across using whatever cables and software comes with the Ipaq (Activesync?). Follow the instructions on this site (click on the "How tos" in the Speed camera box on the left hand side of this screen). Better hurry though because within the next few days you will have to pay for the info.

You can do the same with voices that you can find in many places - but be warned the celebrity ones wear very thin very quickly. I recomend you try the voices at http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/. I use Liz.

Others can tell you about TT Plus - I don't use it.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi randyshooter,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

I’m afraid that I don’t know the HP rz1710, I tried to find its specifications on the HP site but couldn’t. Does the rz1710 have Bluetooth capabilities and you don’t have any other Bluetooth equipment, or does the rz1710 not have Bluetooth capabilities?

Yes you can install a speed camera database and you don’t need Bluetooth to do this. Have a look at the PocketGPSWorld camera database here.

If you want Traffic, then you will need Bluetooth capabilities on both your iPAQ PDA and your mobile phone. You also need a network tariff that allows GPRS as not all Pay As You Go network tariffs allow GPRS transfers. I know that Orange PAYG does though! ;)

If you want to add extra voices then yes you can, we have advertisers that sell voices. Please check them out on the right hand side of the page.

If you wish to download extra stuff and you have the original TomTom (SD) storage card then you would be well advised to get a larger one. E.g. a 256MB, 512MB, or even a 1GB storage card.

I don’t know if you need Bluetooth capabilities for all of the TomTom Plus services, you certainly do for Traffic. It’s best if you have a look here for further information.

randyshooter wrote:
sorry if these seem like stupid questions, we all have to start someware!!!

The golden rule of this forum is that there is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don’t know you ask. You quite rightly said that everybody has to start somewhere, and every single person on this forum was a beginner once. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
randyshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi robert thanks for the info. however i have just tried to add the POICapture.CAB file. which shows up on my ipaq settings page but now tomtom wont work it has just frozen, any ideas?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi randyshooter,

You don’t need POI Capture to use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database. POI Capture is used to make the recording of camera sites much easier.

If you do want to use POI Capture fore recording new or updating existing site (and please do) then please ensure that you downloaded the correct version for your Pocket PC and that you didn’t download the TomTom GO one.

Are you using the original SD card, if you are what is its size? You may need to get a larger card and copy the entire contents of the original card to the new card.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
randyshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea how can i delete poi capture from ipaq or restore settings?
randyshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what have i done?
when i switch ipaq on tomtom is frozen. none of the buttons help at all?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with a soft reset. if that does not work a hard reset should - but you will loose all your settings
Copilot for USA
randyshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic over a soft reset did the job. thank you all for the advice.i am considering downloading the speed camera info. with only having a ipaq rz1710 will the processor be good enough to cope?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy, I have an iPAQ rz1710, with ViaMitchelin, and the camera database from this site. The 1710 is just about big enough(memory wise) to run the softwear, but you MUST get a bigger SD card. With VM, if I tried to plan a long route the 1710 would throw up an error, with a bigger card, the 1710 uses the card to calculate a route, so get a bigger card, and get as much as you can on the card, and leave the memory on the 1710 to be used to run the PDA. To answer Privateer's question, no the 1710 hasn't got bluetooth, it is very basic, with a small memory, hence the need for a larger SD card.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be Ok, but tick the hide all POIs in change preferences, because showing all of them takes a lot of memory. This is not the same as "warn wjhen near POIs", which you can set up seperately for your cameras and which does not use any where near as much memory.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: