Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie after first gps......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie after first gps......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hullmackem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie after first gps...... Reply with quote

Hi,

Been looking around for first gps hardware and wold like a PDA/GPS one if possible as I don;t want to pay a fortune as I'll not use it every day.

I was looking at the Navman PIN570 or the Acer N35. Are these any good ? Or can you recommend another model / make ?

Cheers.
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

Not wanting to be biased but as a Acer N35 owner I can say these are an excellent piece of kit.

You won't brake the bank by purchasing one. Will do just about everything a newbie probably wants to do (does for me).

Is easily transportable as the pack comes complete with a 240v charger, car charger and windscreen mount. and the best bit is the GPS is built in so you can use it outside the car without messing about with wires or a seperate gps receiver.

I also use it as a pocket pc to view/create files, store contact and calendar data etc. etc. etc.

The only downside is that it doesn't have bluetooth, but this is a minor thing.

So depending what you want to use the device for I hope this gives you a little help in deciding.

Mikey
hullmackem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: help Reply with quote

MikeyF wrote:
Not wanting to be biased but as a Acer N35 owner I can say these are an excellent piece of kit.

You won't brake the bank by purchasing one. Will do just about everything a newbie probably wants to do (does for me).

Is easily transportable as the pack comes complete with a 240v charger, car charger and windscreen mount. and the best bit is the GPS is built in so you can use it outside the car without messing about with wires or a seperate gps receiver.

I also use it as a pocket pc to view/create files, store contact and calendar data etc. etc. etc.

The only downside is that it doesn't have bluetooth, but this is a minor thing.

So depending what you want to use the device for I hope this gives you a little help in deciding.

Mikey

Thanks mate, Does it have infa red ? Comet are doing the lite version for £194 but i don;t think it has a mains charger. Being the only difference from the full version I think.
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi – I’ve no experience of the PDA you mention (I have A HP iPAQ hx4700 on a Brodit amplified mount & Proclip for a Renault Scenic -with which I’m very happy).

Do look at the mounting options for your car before you buy, you may find the un-amplified sound too quiet for your car so consider a mount with a speaker built in. Another issue is GPS reception, if your car has a heat reflective screen you may need to have the receiver mounted away from the PDA. See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=36 For advice on this and http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/firstsatnav.php
For other buying advice.

Cheers
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the PiN570 and from what I have read the hardware for both the N35 and the PiN are the same. The difference then becomes the satnav software, the Navman has its Smart ST, whilts the Acer has I think the Navigator software.

The PiN is probably a bit more about 230£ but comes with the 256Mb preloaded SD card, car charger, USB cable, and car mount when I bought it.

I would have to agree, for me the PDA is basic but does the job( it doesnot have bluetooth or WiFi, only the IRDA connection).

The Navman software seems to work fine on the PiN and you can download POI's etc. The PC version of the software (which you use to download POI's) I have found to be a bit flakey, but this maybe something to do with MS active sync.

So if you're chosing between the two units its the software you'll need to judge I guess.

Adek

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: