Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP! - This idiot tries to SIRF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! - This idiot tries to SIRF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP! - This idiot tries to SIRF Reply with quote

I tried tried switching my EMTAC GPSJacket(Sleeve)via the TTNav2 GPS to SIRF 4800. This worked, but the blue position indicator was lagging well behind actual location on road. Tried to set to higher baud rate, also via TT GPS, but this did not work. Was able to revert to regular NMEA driver (Emtac GPSJAQ) so no problem.

Thought I would be clever and make changes via Cruxview at a higher baud rate. Tried switching protocol to SIRF 38400 and somehow seem to be stuck between SIRF and NMEA.

When I try to open, with NMEA settings 4800 Com5 (i3830), reports "Baud rate set error" and exits application. So BIG PROBLEM as unit is currently unuseable!

I recall seeing similar reports in the past on this excellent forum (great patience for experts like myself) and would welcome some assistance please.

Thanks

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP! - This idiot tries to SIRF Reply with quote

When I had the Emtac sleeve, I never had access to CruxView software, so really couldn't mess around with the baud rates and switching between NMEA and SiRF because it stealths the port and won't let other apps like WinFast Navigator connect.

It maybe a similar issue to the issue with the Emtac's and GlobalSat's. If it is, don't charge the sleeve, let the battery die, and wait a few days further for the capacitor to die, and it should lose the settings you've set in the bios and it will wipe them back to factory settings. With the Navman sleeve you could do this within a couple of hours, but I'm not sure how long you would need to discharge the sleeve for before attempting a connection.

You may need to contact Emtac direct as they may be able to clarify this a little further (unfortunately I don't have any contacts at Emtac).
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions. Just as well you didn't have CruxView.

I shall let you know what I can obtain from EMTAC.

CF Expansion Pack
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Is there any way to accelerate the battery and capacitor 'dying-process' ?

Should the sleeve be attached or detached from the iPAQ? If attached, can the battery and/or capacitor still obtain a charge from the iPAQ's own battery or only from the charging-circuit if operational?

Impatience and GPS withdrawl symptoms seem to be taking their toll!!

Also no response from EMTAC support.

Thanks

CF Expansion Pack
Dave
Frequent Visitor

There is only one way I know of, and that's sending a lightning bolt through it, but then again it'll also fry the unit

The sleeve should be detatched from the iPAQ and left to die on it's own. I haven't seen this on the Emtac Sleeve, so I don't know if discharging the battery will have the same effect, but it does on the BT models.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your lightning response

I will try to be patient and won't risk opening the unit in a guaranteed bungled attempt to discharge the battery.

CF Expansion Pack
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

After reading all this, I thought it was high time I wrecked my own gear.

Went in yesterday, selected SIRF Bluetooth from the dropdown list in the GPS status screen, and it seemed to still like talking to my Emtac BT unit. Didn't have to go into CRUX or anything. A little bit worrying, since I've usually got an anti-midas touch.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

That's where I started from (GPS in TTN2) but it only allowed me to connect to SIRF @ 4800, which seemed to make the blue position indicator lag behind. There was no other way (as far as I am aware) of altering the baud rate as well as the protocol.

With 20:20 hindsight and having re-read the manual, I now understand what the warning messages (poor English unfortunately) given prior to my activating the change were trying to tell me.

The failing in this instance, apart from my meddling, is not the EMTAC sleeve, but rather the fact that the CruxView software is not capable of controling the system if it is running in SIRF. However since the unit seems to require that any software is specificaly written for it in order to recognize the COM ports etc, the absence of such software gives rise to the problem. "Catch 22" comes to mind.

This aspect spoils, what is otherwise IMHO, a very good product.

CF Expansion Pack
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Final episode to this sad tale. I tried all of Dave's suggestions, even left the jacket behind when I went on holiday (fortunately without the car) so that it could fully run down over two weeks. No joy, the same messages in CruxView "Read Error" when I tried to set-up for Baud4800 COM5 on my return.

I had tried to obtain support from 'EMTAC' who chose to ignore my e-mails. Also Premier Electronics who supplied the unit were unable to provide assistance or information from EMTAC. They have however kindly exchanged the jacket so I am now up and running again.

WARNING, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE THE PROTOCOL SETTINGS OF THIS UNIT VIA CRUXVIEW.

CF Expansion Pack
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Credit to Premier Electronics for coming to your aid and I'm glad to hear you are up and running once again.

I have an Emtac Jacket and have held off from playing with SiRF and having read your tale I've decided to give it a miss altogether!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: