Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help ! Memory map/gps problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help ! Memory map/gps problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andi4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Help ! Memory map/gps problem Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an Orange SPV M2000 ( same as XDA IIs ) running Windows Mobile Pocket PC 2003 with Memory Map OS 2004 installed. I am having major problems trying to get it to work with my mouse type gps reciever ( unknown make) connected to hotsync port (com 1).
I have downloaded from here the WinFast Navigator software and have checked the reciever. It seems to be working but I still get a "no signal" message when I try to use it. All settings seem to be as they should, baud rate is set to 4800 although it keeps trying to revert to 9600 as default.
Data from reciever is displaying in the WinFast Navigator screen on either baud rate so this does not seem to be the problem. Memory Map is displaying fine as are all markers,routes etc. I just can't get a satelite lock or any kind of signal, and no position cursor on the screen. I have not tried any other mapping software nor any other recievers.

Am I missing a driver somewhere and if so where can I get it? Is there anything I have missed or need to install to make it all work together?

Thanks - this is driving me crazy - been trying for three weeks to get this setup to work !

Andi4x4
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi, Welcome to the forum, Have you uncheched the recieve all beams selection in settings/ Connection tab IrDA, this will unblock the Com port and allow the data through, and if you use an external keyboard with the device you will need to switch the port back to serial/ IrDA, because keyboard mode also locks the port out - Mike
andi4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Box is unchecked - this is something that was suggested a while back and I followed suit ! Don't use an external keyboard but this version of M2000 has the slide out keyboard at the bottom. Don't use it though - find the onscreen one easier !

Tried it again to day in the car - I have two setups, one in car and one on bike. Neither are giving me a signal but I am getting data on the screen with both setups.
Have tried most baud rates and both NMEA and SiRF - Definately a NMEA receiver. Had email back from supplier today comfirming this receiver to be a Fusion one.
Also, when I first open up Winfast Navigator/tools/port setting . . . I get an error message "couldn't find value". This window has to be closed three times before any further access can be gained to WinFast Navigator functions.

HELP !!!!!

Andi4x4
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it displays data on the screen could you describe a typical line of data, the unit should be in NMEA mode, and make sure the winfast software is closed down (settings/ Memory Running programs tab, select close all) before you run up the memory map, In the GPS setup in MM select the manufacturer to NMEA (Just in case you have missed this) - the inbuilt keyboard has no bearing, its the IrDA that is the usuall problem, but that's sorted - Mike
andi4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

data stream looks like this-

$GPRMC,214625.5,V0000.00000,N,0000.00000

this is last line visible but looks same as in instructions file in downloads section . clock can be seen running but not showing any northings or eastings. not fixing on satellites.

beams - off

NMEA selected in MM @ 4800 baud on com port 1,

same setup in WinFast Navigator.

open Navigator /tools/port settings,and error message ''couldn't find values'' appears. this has to be closed 3 times before any more functios can be used.

close Navigator, then open MM and shows "no signal'' and surprisingly ,still no signal.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a valid Data stream from the GPS unit, except the essential data is missing, have you considered a replacement GPS unit as that looks dead. How long was it left before you chose that line of NMEA data, also does it continually update at one second intervals? the 214625.5 is the time of fix, the V denotes a Nav warning and you should be getting lat /long info in the numbers - do you have a car with the thermal coated glass? if so try it out side of the car, if not go for a replacement - for a guide as to what the NMEA sentences actually are have a look at this http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS35LPSeries_TechnicalSpecification.pdf it will illustrate what I have stated above if you scroll though it (bottom of page 20 for $GPRMC) - Mike
andi4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Data is updating/refreshing every second or so, yes. The clock (time of fix) is refreshing ok on the diagnostic screen in WinFast Navigator but not locking on to any sats and no lat/long references.

Dont know about the thermal glass - I have an old Vauxhall Frontera (Jreg) If that helps ! I have tried it on the dash and on the roof ( its got a magnetic base) with no signal either way.

On the bike, the receiver is just held on the back panel above the brake light with velcro underneath so nothing there to obstruct the receiver - but still no signal.

Have considered replacing - This reciever is still under warrantee and I am in touch almost daily with the supplier who is also trying to help me sort this out. They say they have never had a faulty one reported before although they do admit to having had to replace some of the extension cables recently. I have been using my receiver with and without the extension cable and the results so far have been the same either way, so I dont think the cable is faulty.

I have now got a full dvd version of TomTom 5 - I am going to load that up and see if I get any joy with that. If this doesn't work I will go back to supplier and request a replacement.

Thanks for all your help Mike, if you think of anything else which may work let me know !

Andi
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for another unit first, as this one is clearly U/S, it is not totally dead, but it may as well be, it can't be the leads as the "data" gets through to the PDA, the clock data and $GPRMC bit is working, but the reciever portion is shot, new software will not rectify this problem - Mike
andi4x4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are dfinately right ! TomTom5 is not working with this reciever and this is a brand new install from a sealed pack.

New unit will be ordered !

Thanks again for all the help, I will let you know how I get on !
Andi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: