Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Entering Postcodes i3...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Entering Postcodes i3...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdTheDrummer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Entering Postcodes i3... Reply with quote

Hi folks... I've just got a Streepilot i3 and was just wondering about a couple of things.

Firstly, how do you enter postcodes into the navigation thingy? Every time I've tried to put an address in it's gone Country, City, House number, Road and once I've faffed with that then it'll give me the post code of the address. That's all cool but I'd rather put the postcode in first and then have it give me the full address, as it's a) a big time saver and b) a big time saver. I've looked around a few forums and it seems that it's possible to search for post codes but noone mentions how it's done. I'm assuming that's because it's so easy that even an idiot could figure it out. Unfortunately I'm the one idiot who can't, so I'd appreciate someone revealing the secret! ;)

Secondly, is there any way to get it to show your speed whilst you're following a route? When you just have the map on then the speed is in the bottom left corner but when it's navigating then that's replaced by an anticipated time of arrival. It's not a really major thing, but I'd love to be able to get both the speed and ETA on the screen at the same time if it's possible?

Thanks very much!
Ed
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Entering Postcodes i3... Reply with quote

EdTheDrummer wrote:
Firstly, how do you enter postcodes into the navigation thingy? Every time I've tried to put an address in it's gone Country, City, House number, Road and once I've faffed with that then it'll give me the post code of the address.

Once you've selected the country, just enter the postcode instead of the city ;)

Quote:
Secondly, is there any way to get it to show your speed whilst you're following a route?

I'm afraid not Sad
bernie_rubber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my i3 to hand...but you have to select country first - then at the next screen you can either put in the town OR postcode - then you confirm the house number if you know it (or I normally select no 1 if I don't - which gets you pretty close normally)

You can't do want you asked in part two.
bernie_rubber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops - Ash got there first...but like he said!

Anyway - welcome to the forum Ed
EdTheDrummer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help folks but I'm afraid I must be doing something wrong cos I just tried to enter a post code after choosing England and it still wanted me to name the street after choosing the house number.... I tried entering the postcode both with and without a space but with the same result..

I forgot to mention earlier, I'm not using the City Navigator maps because for some reason the cd wasn't in the box (although I'm working on getting the person I bought it off to send me it), so instead I'm using metroguide v8 plus metrowizz to make it routable. Would this change the way the i3 finds addresses?

Thanks again for your help Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdTheDrummer wrote:
Thanks for the help folks but I'm afraid I must be doing something wrong cos I just tried to enter a post code after choosing England and it still wanted me to name the street after choosing the house number.... I tried entering the postcode both with and without a space but with the same result..

I forgot to mention earlier, I'm not using the City Navigator maps because for some reason the cd wasn't in the box (although I'm working on getting the person I bought it off to send me it), so instead I'm using metroguide v8 plus metrowizz to make it routable. Would this change the way the i3 finds addresses?

Thanks again for your help Smile

yes, probably! the city navigator nt were not included on disc with the i3, all maps were pre-installed either on internal memory on on the included transflash card.

MaFt
EdTheDrummer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That would explain it then... In that case would it be possible to get back the original maps, if they were/are on the internal memory, or have I overwritten them by installing metroguide?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdTheDrummer wrote:
Ah! That would explain it then... In that case would it be possible to get back the original maps, if they were/are on the internal memory, or have I overwritten them by installing metroguide?

you could copy the files back from the back-up you made before insstalling metroguide... you DID back it up first, right?!

MaFt
sheltie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Entering Postcodes i3... Reply with quote

EdTheDrummer wrote:
Hi folks... I've just got a Streepilot i3 and was just wondering about a couple of things.

Firstly, how do you enter postcodes into the navigation thingy? Every time I've tried to put an address in it's gone Country, City, House number, Road and once I've faffed with that then it'll give me the post code of the address. That's all cool but I'd rather put the postcode in first and then have it give me the full address, as it's a) a big time saver and b) a big time saver. I've looked around a few forums and it seems that it's possible to search for post codes but noone mentions how it's done. I'm assuming that's because it's so easy that even an idiot could figure it out. Unfortunately I'm the one idiot who can't, so I'd appreciate someone revealing the secret! ;)

Secondly, is there any way to get it to show your speed whilst you're following a route? When you just have the map on then the speed is in the bottom left corner but when it's navigating then that's replaced by an anticipated time of arrival. It's not a really major thing, but I'd love to be able to get both the speed and ETA on the screen at the same time if it's possible?

Thanks very much!
Ed

i to would love to know how to do this please...just bought one the other day and its a great piece of kit but would love to be able just to type in the postcodes.
any help would be gratefull
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens if you do the following?

Where to?

Address

Select Country - England

City or Postal Code - type in Post Code with Space (i.e. AB12 3CD)

It should then present you with the Post Code which you can select and then enter the House Number.
sheltie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
So what happens if you do the following?

Where to?

Address

Select Country - England

City or Postal Code - type in Post Code with Space (i.e. AB12 3CD)

It should then present you with the Post Code which you can select and then enter the House Number.

i can do the above on mine but i dont have a postal code option just city?
sheltie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the software version i have is 3.40 and loaded with and running metroguide europe v8 plus.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
metroguide europe v8 plus.

Ah. Running City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 here. Interesting because all i can find it that Metroguide is apparently non-routable.

Also what country are you trying to use Postcodes in??
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Interesting because all i can find it that Metroguide is apparently non-routable.

I suspect that MetroWizz has been used, see http://www.geodude.nl/gps/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=2
sheltie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
metroguide europe v8 plus.

Ah. Running City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 here. Interesting because all i can find it that Metroguide is apparently non-routable.

Also what country are you trying to use Postcodes in??

scotland uk...ive also noticed that when i approach a roundabout it doesnt say "at the roundabout take the 2nd exit" it just says left or then right.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: