Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please look at this ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please look at this ...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Please look at this ... Reply with quote

I know that many people may visit this part of the forums without necessarily going elsewhere. After all, why browse around if you only have ViaMichelin?

But for those of you who use the Safety Camera Database, there is a discussion going on that you may want to read and/or contribute to.

It is at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the decision to start charging for the safety camera data.

It seems a great shame that the people who put so much effort and time into making this site, the forums and the database so good are now being caught up in the backlash on a huge mistake.

From the lack of response on this, I assume that the pgps team are sorting out how to get out of this, I assume they will fold this website, and start up a new commercial website, which new users will find and register/pay without knowing the history.

I have contributed to the database, and donated with paypal, I have also found and given free help on the forums, so its a shame this is all finished.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out for free with info and advice on this forum, and maybe see you on one of the free forums which will spring up to take up the lost users from here.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t live in the UK and so whether the speed camera database is free of not is irrelevant for me. I don’t use it, and probably would never want to use it.

I’ve not been able to read all 25 pages of the thread on this subject, and by now it’s probably reached 26 pages or more, but I’ve “sampled” it so I have a fair idea of what’s going on.

It seems to me that the database is a valuable asset and so I’m not surprised that someone wants to cash in on it. This isn’t greed, it’s good business.

What is not good business is to alienate both your suppliers and your potential customer base before you’ve even started !

There has to have been a better way to do this.

Frankly, I don’t give a damn about the speed camera database, but I would be very sorry to see this forum fold because of this affair. I come here for information and opinion, and I offer information and opinion when I can.

The level of expertise of forum members is very high, often apparently much higher than that of the ViaMichelin support staff, and it would be a great shame to lose access to this pool of knowledge and experience.

Finally, a word of thanks to the guys who’ve done such a good job (at least up until now) with this site. I know what it’s like to run a site like this – I do something similar myself but in a totally different subject area. Users of a forum like this do not know how much work is involved.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Martike on this. I visit this stie largely for the forums and the sense of community that helping each other through problems gives to each of us. The access to the database is a bonus but as I (mostly) abide by speed limits, it is a toy rather than anything else. Espcially when one considers that it cannot be relied upon due to the malicious removal of some cameras by who knows who.

I'll be hanging around here ...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please discuss in the main thread. Locking this one.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: