Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - request for advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

request for advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grifter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: request for advice please Reply with quote

I am thinking of making my first venture into the world of sat nav. I am after eqipment that can do two things. (1) be used on my cycle after planning pre-determined routes on the computer, and (2) be portable enough to be used in the car for direction finding. any advice would be appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the two requirements you want are distinctly different, for the cycle and walking you can't go to far wrong with the Memory Map product, but you will need a decent mount for the bike, also consider how to power the device from external batteries (I can supply further details on this if required), for the car based sat nav you can't go far wrong with TomTom, there are others but once set-up it takes some beating - Mike
grifter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info, what would be a good gps unit be to use memory map as well as use in the car. what about a mio 168, would that be able to handle both requirements
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIO168 would do the job, but I would take a serious think about the cycle option, if you fall off the bike, the GPS unit being a flip out type, could be easily damaged - I don't know what type of cycling you had in mind but bear it in mind - Mike
grifter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it is road cycling, so with any luck I won't fall off that often, I just like the idea of planning a route on computer and then going out and not getting lost. What a great website.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is all road cycling then Tom Tom should be OK for you. It just does not do off road
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio will work fine with both road navigation on bike or in car but for off road stuff then Memory map is just fantastic for MTB use.

If you would like some information about how to attach it all to your bike then give me your email address or mail me & I will be happy to send you links to a good cycle PDA mount which I have fitted to my MTB for £10. I also advise you to use a good waterproof bag so riding in the rain is not a problem as you can use the PDA through the bag so everything keeps dry. Last but not least, a battery extender is very handy for long rides with the mio & it allowed me to ride all around Dorset this year without worrying about the battery.

You can mail me at ghuntfor6@yahoo.co.uk
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could consider TomTom Mobile. Of course you'll need a compatible mobile phone.

A mobile seems ideal for use on a bicycle due to its small size, you can put the GPS receiver in your pocket, plus you can use it in the car too.

The problem with this, and with every solution on a bicycle is going to be power. Most systems are designed to be run from a cigaratte lighter and you are likely to only get about 2-3 hours of use from the onboard batteries.

The GPS itself will stay powered up for much longer, so you could just fire up the application only when you are lost.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: