Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTomGo Management Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTomGo Management Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: TomTomGo Management Software Reply with quote

First of all excuse me for the rant ........

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone out there (even TomTom themselves) could come out with an easy to use windows application that could manage the tom tom once it's plugged in via usb ?

I mean think about it. It's a usb connected piece of hardware.
Apple do it (ipods)
Creative do it (Zen Micro's)
and there are lots of other examples i'm sure.

I for one am wishing i had put a little more thought into buying the tom tom as i find it very annoying to update and use.
I'm not a newbie with regards to this type of technology either.
It's just crap.

Example......

Upgrade to latest release for the tom tom and warning sounds all get lost.
There doesn't appear to be any way to get them back - even tried using ray flanagans poi alert modification tool but just gives errors.
I'm running a fully patched windows xp2sp2 machine and it doesn't have issues with anything else....

The TomTomGo itself is ok as a satnav product but the management of it is CRAP !
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point slightly.

The GO is a standalone Linux based system. It's not supposed to be tampered with on a regular basis. Many users never upgrade it, and just use it as is.

When you connect the USB lead all you do is mount the storage medium of the GO. You have no access whatsoever to the Linux operating system through the USB console. It's just an expensive storage card reader at that point.

You can't blame TomTom for replacing your homecrafted custom POI voices with an updated corporate version. They also have no obligation to tell us that their new data.chk file is structurally flawed - that's something they let us find out by ourselves.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - first of all thanks for your reply.

I don't believe i'm missing the point however.

I am fully aware that we are simply mounting a drive and changing files without accesing the underlying Linux OS.

The point is that there are no "easy" tools out there for managing the files therefore settings.

I guess it's fine if users want to stay up all night coding their own little linux script to do this stuff but I would suggest the majority of TomTom users probably don't do that, nor do they have the time or inclination to work out how to use viftool and all the other lovely command line utilities that we have available at present.

The major thing that's missing is an easy to use interface to change settings and it isn't there right now. That was my point.
Does anyone agree ?
tweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like a tool that allows you to change the settings. Switching on all the POI for the speed camera files took me ages. if this was in a little proggie it would take seconds...

If thats what you mean, i'm all for it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: