Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE Favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE Favourites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorbenDallas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom ONE Favourites Reply with quote

Does anyone know how and where it stores its Favourites..? I want to be able to merge mine with a workmate's so that we're not duplicating saved addresses, and have easy access to each other's.

Cheers.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are stored in the cfg files and they are not easily accessible. So forget about merging them with anything.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people have given up on Favourites and use a PoI category instead. It's savable and transferrable as an .0v2 file then.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom ONE Favourites Reply with quote

CorbenDallas wrote:
I want to be able to merge mine with a workmate's so that we're not duplicating saved addresses, and have easy access to each other's.

If you save your favourites as a POI you can copy both to a PC and merge them with POIConverter.

http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poiconverter.html

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
CorbenDallas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Saving as POI's... Reply with quote

Bit of a newbie at this, having only just bought the TomTom ONE as my first GPS, so forgive daft questions.

If I save as a Favourite then I can go directly to it later. As I read thousands of meters all over two counties I need this function. Finding a place once doesn't mean I remember it months later.

I thought POI's were just for showing up when you're near them, for instance the Pocket GPS Speed Camera POI'S (and many thanks for that folks).

If I find a house out in the sticks and save it as a POI, can I go back to it later? Come to that, how do I add it to the POI's in the first place? (I'm just getting used to the menus, etc).
CorbenDallas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Daft post Reply with quote

Sorry folks - just looked at the menus and I can save a GPS position into a POI category, and can navigate to a POI too. Obviously, all I need do is create a category, then I can grab the POI file and use the util to merge with my mate's.

Cheers for that.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! You've got it, mate.

As it is easier (less button presses) to save a favourite, I often do it that way and then convert it to a POI later. (Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select your category / Favourite / select it / then name it properly).

I've got separate POI categories set up for "family" places I have to take my kids to; "work" for those places, and "personal" for my own, as well as a "new cams" category that I send off to the camera guys every month, then wipe and start afresh after downloading that month's new database.

More details HERE
CorbenDallas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the ke-presses to add a POI Andy, as I'll only have ten or fifteen on a bad day. Basically, we're using them to store addresses which are difficult to find, such as named properties, or farms in the middle of nowhere.

My manager is interested, as I've told him we're merging our POI's every couple of weeks, and I'm going to make the database available to anyone in the company who uses TomTom. It'll mean our figures go up for less effort, and as our targets are fixed, time saved is time off!

I can't believe how easy the GPS has made work already. We're already doing seven hour's work in five, and driving more relaxed too. It's so much easier having a voice tell you when you're near a property on a busy main road, then see the distance count-down, giving you time to think about where to park, indicate and pull over, etc. And navigating right to a house in the dark makes me smile every time!

Best £280 I've spent in ages.
CorbenDallas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

I couldn't get the POI Editor to install - it said it was, then just exited (Windows XP Home, new laptop, etc). However, I found a superb one at http://www.poiedit.com and it doesn't need to convert to Excel or anything, but allows instant merging and saving of POI files.

Nice Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: