Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting my Medion GPS to a Laptop - Help!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting my Medion GPS to a Laptop - Help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yemenmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Connecting my Medion GPS to a Laptop - Help!!! Reply with quote

Hi there all:),

I have had a Medion GPS / Pocket PC for nearly a year now and it has given me much valuble useage. However, I now work in the Middle East, so I don't have any use for the Road Mapping facility etc. The Lat/Long function works perfectly and I can store my positions without any problems - but that's all I can do. If I want to check my position I have to use a map or input my position on Google Earth. Can anybody tell me how I can hook it up to my Laptop so I can use it as a realtime GPS position finder. Do I need additional software on my Laptop, can I hook the reciever part of the Medion GPS to it etc, etc. Please treat me gently as I am a slow learner

cheers to you all

mike in Dubai
joeninety
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, as far as i am aware you can only connect your device to your laptop to install/sync it. you will not be able to use the devices GPS receiver on the laptop.
yemenmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks Joeninety Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt reply, Joeninety, If I cannot use my Medion, what do you suggest I do to enable py Laptop as a GPS reciever / locator

cheers

mike
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Medion do you have?
If it is a Mio clone you can use a serial cable plus software like GPS Gate which would direct the GPS output through the bottom serial port.

I cannot tell you how to do it but you can find it on this site somewhere.
Search for GPS gate and Mio 168 and you may be able to find the information you need.
yemenmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to Pc Mobile Reply with quote

:D Phew - Hi there, I told you to be gentle with me( Laughing Out Loud). Here goes

It is a MDPPC 150 (Sold by Aldi as an MD 95000). I think is is the Mio copy (similar looking), but not sure of the model. I have a port on the bottom, where I plug the charger and the sync cable to transfer info between a PC and the PDA. Is this what you are referring to? At the other end of cable is a USB plug (this goes into the PC to sync the two). Are you saying I need a cable with the PDA connection on one end and a serial cable on the other. If yes, where would I get one (anybody out there help??)

thanks for your reply

mike
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you search for information: Here is one:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15932&highlight=gpsgate+mio

You just need a PC serial cable for MIO (it is available somewhere).

Unfortunately we do not sell such cable. We only have a serial interface (PV3SMP) for the Mio which is not the same as a PC serial cable. If you are unable to find a Mio PC serial sync cable, you can use PV3SMP + a female>female null modem cable, which is probably harder to find than the Mio serial sunc cable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: