Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which basemap have I got?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which basemap have I got?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Round_In_Circles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Which basemap have I got? Reply with quote

I've just taken delivery of an Etrex Vista which is supposedly an EU model.
I'm a little surprised though to find that 4% of the memory has already been used (no routes, tracklogs etc appear to be saved).

When looking at the "world" map, Europe is covered by a grid and "Mapsource" appears in the bottom left of the screen.

The unit came with a copy of Mapsource World Map and so it is possible that this has been installed.

Can anybody help me identify if I do indeed have an EU model, and if so what is using 4% of the memory?

I'm not sure what differences in level of detail I should expect to see.

Thanks.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum..Try going into the tracks menu and clear the tracks ..On my 60c and etrex the tracks memory gets used by moving around with a sats locked on .the longer the period of time on the bigger %age of memory is used..once cleared it goes back to zero %

When the 60c is booting up the screen displays that its an Atlantic base map

Dave
Round_In_Circles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I never thought to check the bootup screen (too excited waiting for a satellite fix!).

It says "Americas Highways 2.00 and Data Ireland" so it looks like it isn't the EU version after all.

I've also cleared the tracks and there is still 4% of memory used. I therefore guess the 4% is additional map detail that has been added to the unit.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its not the Atlantic basemap ,what a shame ,sounds like an ebay job .Some of the descriptions are very misleading.On a brighter note, the atlantic map is not much good other that to show your general position anyway,so not a great loss.
Dave
Round_In_Circles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit was very clearly advertised as an EU basemap model so I will be in touch with them in the morning to see about an exchange.

Hopefully it was an honest mistake which they will correct quickly.

If not I will certainly leave a warning on here to prevent other people falling into the same trap!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Americas Highways 2.00" is the American basemap. Garmin call the European basemap "Atlantic Highways" or "Atlantic Basemap".

If it says "Mapsource" in small letters then it has some of the Mapsource detailed maps loaded. I'm not that familiar with the Etrex but my GPS-V and Quest both have an option to see which maps and map product is loaded and you can switch the maps on and off. Have a look through the settings...

Here's my take on what has happened. I could be completely wrong and falsely accusing someone of dishonesty but this is how it looks from my point of view. Contact the seller and politely but firmly demand a response to these statements:

1. The GPS is an "Americas Highway" Basemap not a European "Atlantic Highway" Basemap as described.

2. The GPS appears to have unlicenced Mapsource Worldmap maps installed on it in order to pass it off as an EU model. (If you have licensed maps then the GPS came with a Mapsource Worldmap CD and unlock code which you register with Garmin)

3. If you don't have the Mapsource Worldmap CD then you will lose your European maps if you ever upload other maps to the GPS because it will erase any existing (non basemap) maps that are loaded and you don't have the World Map CD to reload the maps.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying an Americas basemap GPS and then buying a legitimate copy of Mapsource Worldmap to load basemap level detail for your part of the world.

However, it appears to me that the item you brought was misrepresented then you should return it immediately and ask for a refund and explanation.

Let us know what happens!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, re-reading that I see you did indeed get a worldmap CD.Embarassed

If it is properly licensed (it will have an unlock key you register with Garmin's website) then that part of it is OK.

From what I have seen, the Worldmap offers similar level of detail to the basemap with roads accurate to within about 500 yards.

Oh, and Welcome too! Thumbs Up
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Garmin's pages to see what you should get:-
http://www.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/index.jsp
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/

The basemap will have limited use for road navigation!
There are free downloads of basemaps.

You did not specify if you had the basic model [without automatic routing/turn by turn, and only Metroguide] or the 'C' which is far more advanced....

Quote:
Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination

You would need 150MB of space to load all of the UK or 16MB for the M25 area if you expect Automatic, Turn by Turn, routing from CitySelect.
Round_In_Circles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update....

I contacted the seller this morning and it does appear that it was an American version with additional maps (knowingly) loaded to make it "EU".

I was a little disappointed since I had deliberately avoided buying an American version. I believe the advert was very mis-leading and have suggested they change it.

Anyway a refund has been agreed and the unit has been sent back. Hopefully the refund will appear as promised.

I have ordered another unit from a different seller - asking twice to make sure it was an EU model!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help out!
Hopefully I'll be posting technical questions soon!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: