Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginning.......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginning.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ooma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Beginning....... Reply with quote

I am a little confused.... so many options and combinations.. choice is a pain the butt sometimes..

I started looking at Tom Toms.. an obvious start for a lot of people due to the publicity it seems to have picked up... seemed like a good idea having an all in one package.. but now i cant figure out why that is a good idea.. i mean, if i pick up a pda, i can pick and choose whatever software i like right?

My dad picked up an Acer with the destinator software on it.. he seems chuffed to bits.. with the external arial he picks up plenty of sats and gets where he wanted to get to.. He said it was used by a number of the car manufacturers.. whether thats good or bad i have no idea.. I also looked at some of the routes it chose for routes that i already know, and they didnt seem at all bad..

I have seen good and bad ones when using the online routes.. google..booo viamichellin...hoooray.. that sort of thing.. google sent you round the world whilst michellin sent you more direct.. or at least had the option to.. This was my first point.. finding one for the car that gave you the option.

His destinator software did not alow postcodes, but seemed helpful enought with putting in the details to find the road you wanted. even if some of the roads are damn long. it also was sometimes a little confused if the road was bending or it was a turn..

So this leaves me with a few basic questions.. (hopefully this was the right forum for dumb questions that may have been answered)

1. why buy an all in one.. the cost does not seem to push me in that direction. ? what are the advantages of all in one.. support?

2. are the pda's loud enough?

3. is the pda a big factor, or can most of them run any of the software adequately, and support the GPS functionality well enough..

4. is there a fave for the software like tom tom 5, and is the destinator software any good? I just have this thing in my head that if it cannot do the routes i know well, then it would send me round the houses when on other new routes...

Any help is appreciated
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Convenience, ease of use and reliability. The all-in-one solutions seem to cover these factors better. If you already own or are planning to get a PDA for another reason, then a PDA solution may suit you, otherwise I would advise you to go for an all-in-one.

2. It depends on the model. The latest iPaqs definitely benefit from external amplification.

3. Most seem OK, but if you decide to go down this route then ask for opinions on the precise hardware/software kit you are thinking about first.

4. Opinions are very divided. It depends upon which features seem important to an individual. Having used Teletype, Navman SmartST 1.96 & 2, TomTom Navigator 2 & 5, and CoPilot 5, my own current favourite on a PDA is TomTom 5. I recently bought my wife a Garmin StreePilot i3 and am quite impressed with that, especially as it cost less than £200! Both TT5 and the i3 handle full 7 character postcode destinations.

If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now, then I would buy a Garmin i3.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning....... Reply with quote

Ooma wrote:
I started looking at Tom Toms.. an obvious start for a lot of people due to the publicity it seems to have picked up... seemed like a good idea having an all in one package.. but now i cant figure out why that is a good idea.. i mean, if i pick up a pda, i can pick and choose whatever software i like right?

All in one devices such as GO benefit from having louder speakers, simpler set-up, no problems when the batterye dies etc etc. You can get TomTom for PocketPC though if you ned the PDA functionality. The benefit here is you can change software easily, install topgraphic mapping software for hiking, marine or aviation software etc as well as have ll the benefits of a PDA
Ooma wrote:
My dad picked up an Acer with the destinator software on it.. he seems chuffed to bits.. with the external arial he picks up plenty of sats and gets where he wanted to get to..

Most decent apps will do this
Ooma wrote:
He said it was used by a number of the car manufacturers..

That's not true, they may perhaps use the same map data, TeleAtlas and Navteq are the only options in Europe anyway!
Ooma wrote:
His destinator software did not alow postcodes, but seemed helpful enought with putting in the details to find the road you wanted. even if some of the roads are damn long. it also was sometimes a little confused if the road was bending or it was a turn..

UK 7 Digit PostCodes should be a must have, AA Navigator and TomTom have them so far.
Ooma wrote:
1. why buy an all in one.. the cost does not seem to push me in that direction. ? what are the advantages of all in one.. support?

2. are the pda's loud enough?

See my reply above, few PDA's have loud enough speakers for anything but the quietest car.
Ooma wrote:
3. is the pda a big factor, or can most of them run any of the software adequately, and support the GPS functionality well enough..

Yes and No. A few have known issues (we're talking PocketPC here, forget PalmOS). The PDA's with built-in GPS are OK but the type of car you have is a factor here, if it has a coated windscreen then you will need to consider a Bluetooth or external antenna.
Ooma wrote:
4. is there a fave for the software like tom tom 5, and is the destinator software any good? I just have this thing in my head that if it cannot do the routes i know well, then it would send me round the houses when on other new routes..

TomTom is by far the most popular with good reason, it's far better then its competition, better interface, clearer map display, easier to use and gas full support for UK PostCodes and our Safety Camera database.
Ooma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments..

To be honest i expected a newbie flaming with tonnes flack, but got some proper answers instead...

I did see the AA one the other day.. is this new.. well respected?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one will flame you here, we're all learning! To be honest the AA product is still a bit raw around the edges.

I have to say that TomTom is the way to go, be it on the PocketPC, Smartphone or GO platforms.

Another option is Garmin's i3 which is proving popular.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ooma,

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Ooma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou... :D
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome ooma.

you've found a great place to get some good advice...i'm fairly new to the site as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: