Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What type of GPS / mounting system to get??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What type of GPS / mounting system to get??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: What type of GPS / mounting system to get?? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just upgraded my phone to an XDA2i. Which i will need to use for a variety of jobs. I would like it to be used in the car as a satnav product with tom-tom, but I would also like to use it out of the car for walking etc.

Is there a car mount / gps unit that has a detachable bracket on the market or should I buy a bluetooth / rechargeable unit.
I have had a bit of a look but most of the car mounts do not imply if the gps has a battery control ability

Thanks for any help

Sparky
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: What kind of mount? Reply with quote

I have a wired iPAQ 4700 on an amplified Brodit holder, Brodit offer a number of options . Look at - http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/bundle_details.php?id=940&deal=958
You would also need a Brodit Pro-clip for your make of car and probably a connecting cable for the receiver. My experience with GPS for Less was good Craig is helpful and knowledgeable.
This would allow you to set up and charge a Bluetooth GPS receiver, which could then be taken out of your car when required. If your car has a silvered or heated front screen you will need to have a receiver placed where it can pick up a signal, this reduces the desirability of an integrated receiver on the XDA.

I don’t have any experience with sleeves for PDA’s (or XDA’s) someone else might like to comment on that option.

My own view is that the mounting in a car is well worth careful thought & research – look at,
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=8
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=36

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alistair
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, yes the heated front screen, thats a consideration i did not think about.
I did have my garmin etrex working in the front screen, before, but sometimes found it was out by a fair bit. Is this the likely cause of that.

So maybe a mount and a bluetooth gps is the way to go?

Cheers
Sparky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: