Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Was working but now it's not - GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Was working but now it's not - GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Was working but now it's not - GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, in fact I only joined today and it is because I'm having a problem that I can't seem to sort. I would appreciate it if I could get some help.

I have an Ipaq and am running TomTom 5 (or at least I was), using a Leadtech Wireless GPS.

When I first installed everything it all worked!

Unfortunately, being a little bit stupid in the common sense department, I left the Ipaq without charging it until it lost all it’s memory. (Obviously without making a backup beforehand... that would have been too easy!)

Anyway I tried installing everything again, but the Ipaq just won’t receive the GPS signal when in TomTom.

I’ll explain.
The Leadtech GPS receiver comes with its own test software to show if it is talking to the Ipaq. If I load this it shows what it is working by showing signal strength Longitude / Latitude etc. It also tells me which port it is connected by. So I know both the Ipaq and the Leadtech are working.

Unfortunately, when I re-installed TomTom it will not pick up the signal. I have been into the GPS option, selected other GPS and chosen the correct port, (and every other port as well when this didn’t work).

It goes into the Signal strength screen and the little Yellow and Black circle at the top right hand side of the screen is spinning, but nothing happens.

I have switched on Bluetooth on the Ipaq, along with the Aloow other devices to connect, all devices, and set it so other devices can discover me.

Any ideas?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Was working but now it's not - GPS Reply with quote

Scullsabode wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, in fact I only joined today and it is because I'm having a problem that I can't seem to sort. I would appreciate it if I could get some help.

It goes into the Signal strength screen and the little Yellow and Black circle at the top right hand side of the screen is spinning, but nothing happens. Any ideas?

If as you say the little Yellow & Black circle is spinning, then you have it connected correctly, but because you have done a complete re-install then it will take some time to get the first sat lock, take it out side and it should then lock on quicker.

TomTom 5.x is slower then TT3 ever was, but it should work OK.
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me,

I didn't realise that it would take that long.

I appreciate your help... I'll go and play now

John Laughing
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. I've tried to get this to work. I left it running outside for 11 hours last night but it still doesn't pick anything up!. (The Yellow and Black circle is still spinning though) any other ideas? Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the selected Baud speed is correct for your unit, if it is wrong the spinning icon will be due to the PDA and TT seeing data avail at the port but it can't decode it into a meaningfull data stream, Try to find the Baud speed you have in the working GPS software then put these into TT and try again, it might take a while but certainly not 11HRs - I wish Ihad that sort of tollerance - Mike
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I thought I'd set both up for the 38400? that it recommended on the GPS Unit, but with trying so many times in so many ways I could of course have changed it at some time.

By the way, I have to admit that it has nothing to do with tolerance.
I set it up outside on the patio with power leads going into the house and then went to bed.

My only worry was if it had rained Wink
Haggispeed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting because I have had exactly the same problem Scullsabode. (My thread here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28340)
Rotating icon, time displayed but no satellites.
Mike also gave me similar advice and it's all the right things to do but no luck.
So I deceided to clean everything off and reload TT3 as I need it next week and I can't get a signal on that either so I'm really up the creek now (don't know which one as the sat nav ain't working...O)
I posted a question to the TomTom support site but nothing back as yet.
does anyone know if there is any kind of reset for the GPS receivers ?
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haggispeed,

Can it be that we are the only ones having this problem?
I was going to hard reset the ipaq (RX3715) and try and put TT3 on, but maybe that won't work either.

I would appreciate it if you could keep me up do date on the results (if any) on TT support site.

My GPS (a Leadtech) works with a friends PDA, so I know for certain that that isn't the problem, also the software that was supplied with it works.

It doesn't appear to have any reset button (in fact it only has the one on/off button). but I have removed the battery for a day in the hope that that might do something. It didn't.

By the way I've now taken it for a 6 hour drive (from my home in the south to Scotland) in the hope that a moving target (so to speak) would help with the triangulation, and guess what......... no help whatso ever.

I'm stumped, it is really frustrating as it did work the first time!

I'll let you know if I get it working with the complete reset. (this won't be for a week or so as I'm away from home at the moment)

Speak to you soon,

John
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggispeed,

I've been trawling the web looking for other forums with the same problem.

Look at this,

I haven't tried it yet but it may be an answer.... posibly not the right one, but an answer never the less

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/ftopic3516.html

Speak to you soon,

John (Scullsabode)
Haggispeed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally an update as have had some response from TT support. Their advice was to completely discharge the receiver then recharge from mains adaptor, then leave on outside, I was to look for the green LED flashing as well as the Bluetooth indicator. Well no Green LED except when I switch on.
So now they say to contact them to arrange repair, no indication of what the fault might be or costs.
Very annoying as I was selling the whole lot as have a new PDA and was going to get a different receiver.
Have tried the ideas suggested on the other thread you found but no joy.
Did you get yours working ?
Scullsabode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haggispeed,

No I didn't get it working. The green light was flashing on my GPS reciever, but still no luck. I borrowed a friends GPS (The exact same model, In fact I bought mine because of his recommendation) and it worked first time. So I can only assume mine was faulty??? It has been more than 2 months since I bought it, I will have to get original replaced. Very annoying. Never the less if it does work in the end then I'll be happy. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: