Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 / Toshiba e350
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 / Toshiba e350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fubar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 / Toshiba e350 Reply with quote

Can anyone help with a GPS problem I'm having with a Toshiba e350 PDA & Navigator 2 with Tomtom external antenna, UK maps stored on SD card?

Although Map view shows the GPS status as working, in Navigator view the message "Route will be planned when GPS position is reliable" is displayed.

After several machine resets the GPS is identified and operates - but will freeze after a few miles. The last speed and location is then locked on the display.

I have checked the site faqs and downloaded and installed updates 2.05 and 2.22 - which are supposed to resolve Toshiba conflicts - but the problem persists.

I have also tried the PDA in several cars but the fault persists- so I don't think it is a location or windscreen problem

Requests to Tomtom have so far not been answered.

I've asked PCWorld - who supplied the package - for help but they tell me GPS works from phone signals and therefore won't work in rural or built up areas!!!!!!!!! Thorough product knowledge there then!

Thanks for your help
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 / Toshiba e350 Reply with quote

When you installed TomTom Navigator, it's very important to install everything EXCEPT maps to the main memory. Make sure the main program, GPS Driver and Speech are installed to main memory as this can cause similar problems. Also upgrading to 2.22 (which you've done), should rectify it if it's one of the original hanging bugs.
Colin21
Occasional Visitor

Hello

I assume you have the same package as me but I got mine from Dixons. Firstly have you seen the Thread in this Forum -GPS stops responding to Nav 2 - The symtoms are the same that I am experiencing along with others using different equipment. As yet the only commom part is the TomTom Navigator 2 software ?

I have had all the TomTom hardware replaced by my local Dixons without any improvement. This leaves the e350 and the TomTom software unchanged. Like yourself I have updated my software from 2.00 to 2.05 and the last time I did a complete ( Hard ) reset of the e350 and installed a new copy of Navigator 2.22 with only the Voice files from the origional CD, as explained on update site page.

At the moment I can only help you with the knowledge that you are not alone in having this Problem. I srongly suspect that it is a hangup in the TomTom Software code that does not allow it to recover from any blips in the signal from the GPS unit . Hopefully TomTom are still working hard to resolve the matter as they have already issued 2 updates since it release of Navigator 2 in May. Perhapse a manual reset facility would help in the short term.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Is the problem that the Pocket PC and/or Navigator is hung - or is the problem a lack of GPS updates?

I think I'm right in saying that there is something a little unusual about the Toshiba cable. Unlike most Pocket PCs, instead of providing a serial port, most Toshibas, including, I believe, the e350, provide USB host capabilities (most Pocket PCs' USB capabilities are client only and are incapable of being a host). In the Toshiba setup, I believe the GPS is connected through a USB Serial chip in the cable.

If I'm right, it could be that the problem lies in the driver for that chip - and I don't know where that comes from in a TomTom 2 wired hardware setup. Maybe unplugging the cable from the PDA and plugging it back in again will clear the problem (though it could make things crash completely!)

If I'm wrong, I await correction...

David
Fubar
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 23 June 2003

When you installed TomTom Navigator, it's very important to install everything EXCEPT maps to the main memory. Make sure the main program, GPS Driver and Speech are installed to main memory as this can cause similar problems. Also upgrading to 2.22 (which you've done), should rectify it if it's one of the original hanging bugs.

Thanks for the reply Dave

I confirm that everything - except the maps - was installed to the main memory.

As Version 2.2 has not resolved the problems I'll have to hope Tomtom come up with a fix soon.

Thanks again for your help
Fubar
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Colin21 on 23 June 2003

Hello

I assume you have the same package as me but I got mine from Dixons. Firstly have you seen the Thread in this Forum -GPS stops responding to Nav 2 - The symtoms are the same that I am experiencing along with others using different equipment. As yet the only commom part is the TomTom Navigator 2 software ?

I have had all the TomTom hardware replaced by my local Dixons without any improvement. This leaves the e350 and the TomTom software unchanged. Like yourself I have updated my software from 2.00 to 2.05 and the last time I did a complete ( Hard ) reset of the e350 and installed a new copy of Navigator 2.22 with only the Voice files from the origional CD, as explained on update site page.

At the moment I can only help you with the knowledge that you are not alone in having this Problem. I srongly suspect that it is a hangup in the TomTom Software code that does not allow it to recover from any blips in the signal from the GPS unit . Hopefully TomTom are still working hard to resolve the matter as they have already issued 2 updates since it release of Navigator 2 in May. Perhapse a manual reset facility would help in the short term.

Hi Colin

it is extremely comforting to know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem!

As you say, fingers crossed that Tomtom read the forum and will come up with the fix soon!

Thanks for your help
Fubar
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by DavidW on 23 June 2003

Is the problem that the Pocket PC and/or Navigator is hung - or is the problem a lack of GPS updates?

I think I'm right in saying that there is something a little unusual about the Toshiba cable. Unlike most Pocket PCs, instead of providing a serial port, most Toshibas, including, I believe, the e350, provide USB host capabilities (most Pocket PCs' USB capabilities are client only and are incapable of being a host). In the Toshiba setup, I believe the GPS is connected through a USB Serial chip in the cable.

If I'm right, it could be that the problem lies in the driver for that chip - and I don't know where that comes from in a TomTom 2 wired hardware setup. Maybe unplugging the cable from the PDA and plugging it back in again will clear the problem (though it could make things crash completely!)

If I'm wrong, I await correction...

David

Hi David

I think you may have got to the root of the problem with the USB connection and drivers- but whether the GPS updates or hung machine are the chicken or egg eludes me.

Tomtom faqs suggest that they are aware of the problem with compatability with the Toshiba e350 and cabling.

Let's hope that one of their updates will sort out this problem soon.

Thanks for your help
Colin21
Occasional Visitor

Hello Fubar

Have you seen the new updates from TomTom.

Navigator 2.24 and GPS 2.06 which promise to resolve some of our Problems. I have not tried them out yet so cannot say if they are any improvement.

I had achieved a big improvement in stability by disabling the Infra Red port which was suggested by others using Ipaq Pocket PC's in another thread in the TomTom Forum .
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Disabling "receive incoming beams" certainly comes recommended - as does updating to Navigator 2 2.24 / GPS 2.06 (which you can do here)

To disable "receive incoming beams", Start Menu -> Settings, Connections tab, Beam and make sure that "Receive all incoming beams and select discoverable mode" is *not* ticked.

This doesn't stop your IR port working - though it does mean if you're going to receive something over IR, you have to enable reception manually. To do that, Start Menu -> Programs and select Infrared Receive.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: