Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ticker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken Reply with quote

Just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken
the clear suction rubber has come away from the mount.

Tried to contact tomtom but the support is down

Is this a common thing to break

regards to all
mike Crying or Very sad
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken Reply with quote

ticker wrote:
Just bought TTgo 700 and the w/screen mount has broken
the clear suction rubber has come away from the mount.

Tried to contact tomtom but the support is down

Is this a common thing to break

regards to all
mike Crying or Very sad

I haven't seen any comments about this until recently - then This thread - so there might be a bad batch out there.
ticker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help see below it cofirms ttgo have a problem!!!

stevieboy

Posted: Sat, Aug 06, 10:31 am Post subject: Broken Windscreen Mount

Don't know whether anyone else has experienced this problem, but I've just bought a 500, and the windscreen mount snapped (the clear plastic sucker separated from the rest of it) when fixing it in the car.....on the first day (yesterday).

I work for a retailer that sells them, and so far we've had three with the same problem in three days (mine will be the fourth).

Looks like a bad batch.

Anyway, I'm going to contact Tom Tom about it, but I've also ordered the alternative mount kit, as it looks a bit more robust (simpler) just having a bendy stem instead of the more complex original.

Does anyone have any experience of how good the alternative mount kit is? Do you get vibration with it because it's not rigid?

Thanks for your help.

stingray

Posted: Sat, Aug 06, 4:47 pm Post subject:

stevieboy,

these suction mounts are all the same. I got through one for my mobile phone mount and exactly the same thing happened. There’s only a very small piece of plastic holding the transparent bit. I knew i'd be seeing a post of this kind soon!

I would not keep removing it from he windscreen and don’t stress it unnecessarily i.e pull it when still attached to the windscreen.

www.homedianet.com

Posted: Sat, Aug 06, 7:23 pm Post subject:

I have had the same problem snapped first time, I called Maplin and they have agreed to send another streight out to me when they get them back in stock, seems like this is an issue. Has anyone contacted tomtom ?

stevieboy

Posted: Sat, Aug 06, 9:51 pm Post subject:

I emailed Tom Tom today with some pictures I took with my digital camera of where the break is, I will also ring them from work on Monday and update them on the other problems experienced by customers, and I'll mention that others (on this forum) have reported problems.

Having seen a few pictures of the original Tom Tom Classic mount (which had an up/down lever)it looks to me like this design is not that brilliant and more likely to break, but then again I'm no design engineer, it may just be a bad batch of mounts.

The trouble is, I'm a bit concerned about fitting it and leaving it attached to the screen...it would be pretty easy to tell that it's a Tom Tom mount, which would mean to a potential thief that there's half a chance it'll be in the glove box (due to it being inconvenient to carry).

Personally I prefer to put the mount/lead in the car boot (trunk to any Americans viewing) and take the unit with me.
JEZY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same thing happened to me on my 500.
First time I tried to fix it to the windscreen there was a horrible cracking noise and the black plastic connected to the clear suction pad had broken. I had not put any stress on it whatsoever. Took it back to Dixons and they swapped it no probs. I now just slightly moisten the clear suction pad before I stick it on - seems fine.
This mount does not seem anywhere near as good quality as the one on my old Classic.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have been monitoring this forum and have noticed a number of people reporting issues with the suction mount. They have set up a special category for suction mounts in the ask a question section of the support site. Click here for TomTom support page you must be logged in to the TomTom site to complete the form.

With the information you provide they will be able to investigate further.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Bracket Broke Reply with quote

Mines the same - the plastic spindle which attaches the sucker to the base has snapped - I've only used it twice! The spindle is very flimsy.
Despite the fact that this is a known fault (their guy told me on the phone that they have had loads break) Globalpositioningsystems where I bought it insist on having the broken one back before they will send a replacement, so it looks as though this is going to be a lengthy job.

This attitude from GPS really annoys me - they expect us to trust them to deliver the goods when we give them hundreds of pounds up front, but when it comes to them trusting me to send them a broken bit of plastic it's a different matter! I have offered them a picture of the damn thing by email ..........

It strikes me that as this fault is well documented the retailers shouldn't continue to sell the units until the problem is sorted. I wonder how they will react when they start getting GO's back with smashed windscreens resulting from the mounts collapsing?
tomtomthumb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happend to me when my go 300 first arrived, mine was broken when i got it out of the packet!!, never mind while attaching on the windscreen!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: