Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Been therem done that. What's next?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Been therem done that. What's next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Been therem done that. What's next? Reply with quote

Bored.
Got the PDA.
Got the GPS receiver (bluetooth).
Got the software (TT5).
Got them all working.
Can now drive anywhere without paper maps.
Happy.
Bored again.

Now what? What's the next stage?
Any suggestions of cool little add-on programmes I can add to the above set-up that will keep me entertained for the next few days until I get bored again?

Ideally the programmes would be free (legally) as I am already committed to taking out the trash and doing the dishes for the next 4 years for spending too much money on all of the above.

Off Topic Why is it that whenever you get anything electronic, it's considered to be a toy for you to play with and therefor a waste of money. But buying a tiny little Louis Vuitton purse, or sandals she would only wear twice for hundreds of pounds, is considered to be a sound investment and not a topic for discussion?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Been therem done that. What's next? Reply with quote

exfive wrote:

Off Topic Why is it that whenever you get anything electronic, it's considered to be a toy for you to play with and therefor a waste of money. But buying a tiny little Louis Vuitton purse, or sandals she would only wear twice for hundreds of pounds, is considered to be a sound investment and not a topic for discussion?

Nice to know i'm not the only one who gets the third degree, watch out here she comes Out of here
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting bored, you could always change your Points of Interest to Points of Apathy.

To keep you entertained, how about this

http://gpsdash.com/overview.ppc2.php

Loads of dials, charts, and endless hours of fun calibrating maps. Not free, but a bargain at 23 Euros. Just don't tell SWMBO.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SWMBO

googled it. And sadly it is true. And 'must' is an understatement! haha
Anyway, this programme you mentioned, will it work with Tomtom? I read a little about this and as far as I understand the GPS will not work with 2 programmes at the same time. Someone mentione GPSgate or something like that, does it ring any bells? Also - couldn't find this info on the link you sent - will this programme record my route? It's just that I'm trying to get my girlfriend to use TT5 (to try and get them to become friends and by that allow me to buy extra gadgets haha) and of course TT has got it's own mind about routes and I would like her to use a specific route to work, so I want to drive there myself and let TT record it and guide her through it. Is that possible?
SWMBO (haha) is quite inteligent and successful but can't navigate to save her life Stupid
And TT will get her there alright, but via France...

p.s. - sowrry fr the tipo in the subjekt tytle... ;-)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not dive into the custom POI business. Speed cameras, Louis Vuitton shops, the works. Something to keep you entertained and alive.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get copilot5 thatll give you some fun having been used to tomtotm Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took advice from these forums and installed vBar:

http://www.vieka.com/vbar.htm

This closes down programmes completely when you've finished with them, and therefore releases the GPS when you exit TomTom, making it available for other applications.

I had TT5 working on my Mio 168, installed vBar, then GPSDash2. No conflicts, and either program works fine, although you can't have both working at once.
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - didn't read the supplementary questions. As far as I am aware, you can't 'keep' a TT route, although if you start and end at the same locations, and use the same options, it should send you the same way! Unless anyone knows differently. Navigate to recent location will ensure you are going to the same place, or saving the destination as a Favourite or POI.

GPSDash will track your movements, and you can activate the log and replay it at a later date, but of course it won't tell you how to get there. Perhaps you need another PDA?!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jguiver wrote:
although if you start and end at the same locations, and use the same options, it should send you the same way! Unless anyone knows differently. ?!

I have used both TT3 and 5 and have never adjusted any of the prefferences once they are set - they stay that way. The route generated has been different on many occasions (home to a specific place near Lincoln) the vs5 has taken me four ways to the same place, the detination is saved as a fav. Also on the return home back to work I have been taken three different ways - but local knowledge overides the problem!
Any one a theory on why it does this? is it time related - its not traffic info as I don't bother with it (why pay when the RDS radio system fitted works and is free) - Mike
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why not dive into the custom POI business. Speed cameras, Louis Vuitton shops

This is a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will conact TomTom asap and sugest a new product TominaTomina. It will be pink, have POI for LV Gucci Prada Chanel (and Asda. Why do women like Asda so much??) etc.
It will have features like:

1. Alternative route via shoe shop / h&m
    2. In the mornings whenever the speed goes under 8mph it will say: In 200 meters put on make-up
    3. If the mobile phone is also connected to the PDA it will warn if the phone has not been used in more than 5 minutes
    4. At the end of the journy it will say "In 50 meters you have reached your destination. Please find a parking space for a bus and take 20 minutes to park in it"

These are only some of the features I'm thinking of. I remind everone that this is my baby and if anyone steals this idea from me I'll prosecute!! Mr. Green
I'm also thinking of a product for the gay satnav enthusiasts - BradBrad. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyway, I think I'll give this GPSdash thing a go, see what all the hype is about.

Quote:
you could get copilot5 thatll give you some fun having been used to tomtotm

Thanks mate but I already own the previous version of it. It's called girlfriend4. You might be familiar with it Laughing

Any other suggestions for cool GPS apps? Please keep them coming
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it there could be a market Laughing Out Loud Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exfive wrote:
... (and Asda. Why do women like Asda so much??) etc.

Um, didn't know we did! Confused :-)

Probably because it's cheap (and somewhat cheerful) and we get to prance around slapping our back pockets like Sharon Osbourne.

exfive wrote:
1. Alternative route via shoe shop / h&m

Better make that via a DIY shop as well so that we can call in and pick up the equipment needed to put up those shelves that you conveniently still haven't got round to doing yet... ;-)

exfive wrote:
4. At the end of the journy it will say "In 50 meters you have reached your destination. Please find a parking space for a bus and take 20 minutes to park in it"

Does it come with a spell checker, too? ;-)

exfive wrote:
These are only some of the features I'm thinking of. I remind everone that this is my baby and if anyone steals this idea from me I'll prosecute!! Mr. Green

I think it'll be safe... Mr. Green

Just make sure you include some easy-to-follow instructions (non-technical language, please) and some pretty colour pictures too, as you know us women can't follow anything too technical, although we can manage to set the VCR... ;-) :D

All good fun... :D

Regards,

Bo Peep.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Does it come with a spell checker, too?

Ok ok ok "Journey". There you go. Why isn't there a spell checker in this forum place anyway? Surely we can't be expected to hunt, gather AND spell correctly...

Bo Peep wrote:
Just make sure you include some easy-to-follow instructions (non-technical language, please) and some pretty colour pictures too, as you know us women can't follow anything too technical, although we can manage to set the VCR...

Well I'll have you now I have previously referred to my girlfriend as "intelligent" in these forums (something I will of course not do to her face... Smile )

Bo Peep wrote:
All good fun... :D

Not anymore thanks to you Sad I had to run this post in Word to make sure I have not made any additional spelling mistakes Wink

Actually it has been good fun 8) . I did not know women roamed around here, and as you are a moderator, I kneel before you Cheers!
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exfive wrote:
I did not know women roamed around here,

I know, it's terrible. We get everywhere now. :-(

exfive wrote:
and as you are a moderator, I kneel before you Cheers!

I think you and I will get on just fine. :-)

Good luck with finding more interesting add-ons for your system. It may not be your thing, but when I got my iPAQ I downloaded Microsoft Theme Generator

You can create themes for your Today screen using pictures from the internet or photos you have on your PC and change them at will just by tapping the icon on the Today screen once you have several stored in your iPAQ.

Voila - a theme to match every outfit. :D

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
exfive wrote:
I did not know women roamed around here,

I know, it's terrible. We get everywhere now. :-(

I'm sorry Bo Peep, I still believe you're the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't let my SWMBO anywhere near my Sat Nav - she'd probably delete all the maps. I lent her my phone once and she managed to change the language to Spanish, and couldn't change it back - despite her claim to be fluent (Yeh right!).

She makes a wicked paella though! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: