Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating and replacing POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating and replacing POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Updating and replacing POI's Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the world of PDA's and will shortly be recieving my Acer N35 with Destinator 3 from an online retailer. I am planning to install the speed camera database onto it, but wondered what happens if the POI already exists? I'm assuming that each updated version of the database is largely the same as the last, however some new POI's will have been added, others removed. If I load August's database on, what happens when I load September's database? Will I get duplicate POI's for any which already exist? Also, is there a good way of keeping the database in sync with the PDA, because ideally you would also want to remove the POI's for cameras which are no longer there from the PDA. Apologies for the lame questions, especially if they are covered elsewhere.

Regards ... Martin.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome :D
No questions are Lame if you don't know the answer.

If you install the database manually by copying the files on to your PDA then the new one overwrites the old one so you don't get duplicates and if cameras are removed they will no longer show up, if the database has been updated to say they have been removed.
I'm not sure about syncing automatically as I have not done it that way but I think it can be done via POIedit somebody else may be able to help with that.

Hoppy
hollim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info. Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for then information. I've received my PDA now (Acer N35 with Destinator 3) and I've uploaded the database to it.

I don't know if it's the same for all PDA's, but mine compiles the .csv file into a .dat file which you then download to the correct location on the PDA. This way, each time a new database becomes available, you simply have to delete the old .dat file and copy in the new one.

Simple! :D

Cheers for now .... Martin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: