Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will anybody renew their subscription ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will anybody renew their subscription ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Will anybody renew their subscription ? Reply with quote

I am dissapointed with Traffic at the moment, so as we speak, i will not be renewingunless drastic changes occur.

Anybody else feel this way ?

Paul
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, as I love the idea, but £30 (?) for a years subscription seems steep for a service that I can't yet get to work reliably - and probably could get the same benefit from switching on the traffic announcement on the radio.

In all honesty it's just a toy - and I'd only really benefit from it on one journey a month (on average) - although if it would save me from being stuck in a jam just once, I'd probably be happy to pay £30.

Ultimately I like it, and want it - but am disappointed with it since paying for it.

If it doesn't improve (or perhaps should read: If I can't get it to work consistently) or get substantially cheaper, then I definately won't renew.
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30 per year is about 58p per week, or about 8p per day. Doesn't sound that expensive to me...

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, think of the links that is required to make this work...
Collection of the raw data over 1000's of miles of roads (believed to be sensors on trucks and mobile phone movements). This data is correlated and passed from Itis to TomTom, who then make it avilable via their own servers, with a little bit of formating thrown in for free. They write the software that by pressing a touch screen, tells the pocket pc bluetooth drivers to go look for a mobile telephone, dial up either 3G or GPRS connection, connect to the service providers network, hand shake, go off and using DNS find the correct location of TomTom's data, download that data after being authorised by the servers, sift the data and then apply it onto the maps and routings we have choosen. All this at 70 mph (honest officer). So 8p a day plus less than 1p for the data retrival sounds quite clever to me.

However, the Itis data needs to be more accurate and TomTom servers need to be a damn sight quicker and more reliable. But, I will still be renewing in September.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 8p a day / 58p a week isn't expensive - if the product worked.

Sadly it doesn't work well, and there seems to be plenty of other people posting in this forum who have significant problems with it.
skippyzoid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why charge for it?, Route66 dont.

BUT, if the route66 guys wrote a plugin for tomtom and charged a one off fee for access to their servers I'd buy it in preference to TT Traffic subs.

I used route66 on the laptop for years before I bought tomtom, and only then the advent of being given an IPAQ for work when they moved from laptops to hand helds.

I found the route66 traffic info really not bad, it could do with a few improvements in its interface but hey, its a free service who has a right to complain about something they havnt paid for.

Perhaps someone could come up with a little plugin to solve this, perhaps not ethical though. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skippyzoid wrote:
Why charge for it?, Route66 dont.
Of course they do, instead of charging subscribers they just roll up the licence fees for the data and add it to the software's purchase price. iTIS charge a substantial licence fee to provide access to the service and you will pay for it one way or another. At least this way only those that use it pay for it.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not to sure as it doesn't really help the country folks ,sure it works well in the citys but i've come across many incidents in teh country & they havn't showed up or there's a huge avoid area but when you get there it's as clear as a whistle
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
i'm not to sure as it doesn't really help the country folks ,sure it works well in the citys but i've come across many incidents in teh country & they havn't showed up or there's a huge avoid area but when you get there it's as clear as a whistle

But that's an issue that affects all TMC Services. iTIS who run the UK operation use a variety of methods to collect the data ranging from units installed in HGV fleets, data sourced from traffic agencies etc. As a result the outerlying areas will always be poorly covered.

Hopefully as the service matures this will improve, it would be great if they could use a similar system to TrafficMaster with roadside data collection posts.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once it worked well for me yesterday, every time I pressed update it went off and found the server and downloaded the traffic information (which by the way was not showing the traffic jam I was sitting in on the M1 - "no incidents on route"), so I suppose it is an improvement, but overall I have found it too unreliable, and in fact dangerous when messing to get the thing to work properly. I tend to rely on the radio traffic news on my travels. I doubt I will be renewing.
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
it would be great if they could use a similar system to TrafficMaster with roadside data collection posts.

Eh, that gave me an idea. And oh boy, am I impressed with myself Laughing

Trafficmaster in my eyes are considered to be the best in the UK for traffic information .. as you say .. with the roadside cameras, they're bound to be. So why havent they developed some software for PPC users ?

Well they have !!!!

I've managed to get their feed, directly onto my PDA - updated via GPRS via bluetooth on my mobile (or Wifi - whichever I'm near too).

I'm going to produce a howto if anyone is interested, but here's the shots after a couple of hours fiddling tonight.

Here's a couple of screen shots that I've managed to grab from my iPAQ HX4700 .. sorry about the quality.

Full UK view

Zoomed in a bit

Zoomed in abit more

You can go in another level or two as well, but I've not captured screenshots of that much yet.

Cost? Well, not that much. All of this is 100% legit, and the service from TrafficMaster costs £39.99 per year - although I'm subscribed to a £14.99 3 month trial, so I can see what its like in a real world situation.

Obviously, this is a seperate application to the likes of TomTomNavigator - but I'm going to see if I can yank the data .. possibly create it into a POI, so that TTN may pick up a traffic jam as a point of interest. Not ideal, but may be worth investigating.

If anyone is interested I'll look at writting a how-to for the site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, isn't this already available? Traffic-I is a subscription based service for Sony UIQ, Nokia Symbian OS, PocketPC Phone Edition and MS Smartphone that delivers TrafficMaster data to your handset for £39.99 pa.

http://www.traffic-i.com/

It's no cheaper, is not dynamic and whilst useful to check traffic conditions before you depart it is of little use once moving.
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt Traffic-I only available on Palm?
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what's not dynamic? Traffic-I? Or the TrafficMaster on my PDA? Both are auto updating if you want them to be.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic-I is available on a variety of platforms inc Symbian, PocketPC and Smartphone.

I use the term 'dynamic' to mean it cannot alter your route or alert you to problems on your programmed route automatically because it has no integration with the navigation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: