Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some questions about Icn 510 Premium Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions about Icn 510 Premium Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chewa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Some questions about Icn 510 Premium Europe Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a new poster, having bought a Navman 510 Premium Europe version, last week. I also bought a 512Mb Kingston SD card and paid less than £400 all in!

I had considered Tom Tom 700 but thought it too expensive and bulky and to be frank it looked too cheap for the price! After all it has to go on the dash of our Saab 9-5 Wink

I also tried the Mio 269 (a neighbours), and, though I liked it, found it bounced about a lot on the windscreen fitting especially in my wifes MX5. It having a hard drive also put me off, particularly as I also wanted to be able to take the unit on European cycling tours. My neighbour also said it's battery life was pretty poor. Still. it was a close run thing.

All in all I have been very impressed by the 510. It looks expensive and very user friendly - very intuitive.

Some strange routing is I'm sure down to settings and if I did not know the roads involved would not have known the routing was strange!

Now to questions:

1. Is it possible to have different languages for voice.? All I see under Language is UK male and UK female, and I would like to practice in French when in France.

2. I have loaded up Belgium, Netherlands and France streetmaps (from the supplied CD) onto the 512 card, and have space for UK too, but so far have kept it on the supllied card.
Do I need basemaps too? (I think not but perhaps someone can confirm)

3. My wife is driving in France at the end of the month and I am programming in trips from the airport to her B&B etc. When trying to demo the route I get an error message. Is this just because the software knows we are not in France at the start point? Is ther a way I can test the route before she gets there?

4. If I have UK and France on same card, could I programme a trip from home to ferry to France etc? Or do I need to do seperate trips?

Hope someone can help. It's a great product and superb value just now.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't check out a route without a GPS signal. I use a cheap remote aerial that sits on a window seal that I plug in when I'm sat at my computer planning routes. You can't include a ferry route as part of the your planned route because you can only check out routes that can be driven, although the ferry routes are shown. The only way to pre-plan a route is to use the following...

Locate your start point on the map and using the cross-hairs select "Set as Start Location" on the drop down menu. Then locate your destination and using the cross-hairs again but select "Navigate To". You wont get time and distance in the summary but you can see the route highlighted. You can then alter the settings or add avoid areas until you get the route you want as per normal. I did this when planning a tour of France and Spain recently. I kept my UK mapping on a separate 256MB card and then changed over to the European card on the ferry.

Don't forget to make a note of the route settings that you used when you planned your France route.

Remember that the POI are stored on the card and only the favourites are stored on the internal memory. That's why I upgraded my original 128MB card with UK mapping on to a 256MB card because I ran out of space storing POI.

I'm sure if this isn't exactly right someone will elaborate in more detail.
chewa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Tried it (got a signal in the house!) and have pre run the trip.

Thankfully it matches the Michelin suggested route with three long sections of autoroute and just a few roundabouts.

I appreciate the help and think I will do as you do and keep Europe on the 512 and UK on the supplied card
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
You can't check out a route without a GPS signal. ............Locate your start point on the map and using the cross-hairs select "Set as Start Location" on the drop down menu. Then locate your destination and using the cross-hairs again but select "Navigate To".

I have no problem planning a route with no signal. You simply do as Shirley has described above, then go to Route Information - Show Route.

Also, I have planned routes before using a ferry crossing, however that was within the UK. I'm not sure if it's the same when you go over the Channel.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: