Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Small GPS to find car in parking lot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Small GPS to find car in parking lot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Small GPS to find car in parking lot? Reply with quote

I have sophisticated car navigation systems to find all sorts of routes and points of interest. No problems there!

However my wife and I like to travel and walk around new places. Often when we are in another city, we get "turned around" and lost.

We need a simple GPS to help us find our way back to the parked car or hotel. We can set a waypoint when we leave I know how to do that!

Maybe a "breadcrumbs" trail?

Small enough to fit in pocket.

Would like to have the WAAS or better accuracy. Rechargeable or AA replaceable batteries.

Would be good to have capability in foreign cities (European, Indonesian, Asia, China, Japan)

Thanks
Bill
Atlanta Georgia
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought all you need is a any old hand-held device and just set where you leave your car as a 'favorite'. Then when you want to go back to it navigate to that favorite.

Why would you need WAAS/better accuracy? Surely you can see your car when your within e few feet of it?

Maybe I'm missing the point...wouldn't be the first time. Laughing
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maxi,

I may be confused here. I have seen several GPS in comparative review that say "accurate <49 feet."

That is probably accurate enough, but then I see some that are MUCH more accurate.

Also I get TOTALLY confused with all the little differences.

What is the difference between a "waypoint" and a "favorite." I would think that I would need to set the car as a waypoint since I would be parking in different locations.

I thought that a 'favorite' was more like a restaurant that I would return to in the future.

I would also like my 'car finder' to be small, like a cell phone size. I am riight now looking at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5796759270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Looks pretty good. Need to do a little research. I like the size and that it has a rechargeable lithium battery with a 15 hour life. I have also looked at the Garmin Geko a little bigger, but uses replaceable batteries I can get anywhere.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Small GPS to find car in parking lot? Reply with quote

Sorry woolygums, I got a bit confused by this line:-

woolygums wrote:
Would be good to have capability in foreign cities (European, Indonesian, Asia, China, Japan)

Is it city street planning that you are after? Or do you mean you just want one of these 'sport tool' type GPS systems to work in these cities. The latter should work anywhere in the world as long as you can get a sattelite fix, though I'm not sure they'd do the job you want. I'm fairly sure WAAS only works in North America. Other regions have there own systems of improving accuracy.

I still think, though, that a standard GPS accuracy of 15meters should be enough to find your car or your hotel. You're not talking about the Monopoly pieces are you? Laughing

I always thought of a 'waypoint' as being somewhere that you would want to travel via when you are planning a route. I use TomTom Nav5 and if I was leaving my car somewhere and hoping to return to it later I'd just put the location of my car as a 'favorite' before I leave it, then when I wanted to return just navigate back to that.

Hope this helps
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned early on that I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology. This thread is helping me better define my objectives.

I want a small GPS that has the sensitivity to work in metropolitan areas all over the world. I have read about some of the small GPS units that don't work very well around tall buildings or even with foliage overhead. I don't want one of these.

I would like it to have AA or AAA replaceable batteries in case I am somewhere that does not have electricity to recharge, or in case I forget to put it on the chrager at the end of a day.

I guess that 50 feet accuracy is fine.

Would like to have a GPS about the size of a cell phone.

Thanks,

Bill, lost in Atlanta
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woolygums wrote:
I mentioned early on that I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology. This thread is helping me better define my objectives.

I want a small GPS that has the sensitivity to work in metropolitan areas all over the world. I have read about some of the small GPS units that don't work very well around tall buildings or even with foliage overhead. I don't want one of these.

I would like it to have AA or AAA replaceable batteries in case I am somewhere that does not have electricity to recharge, or in case I forget to put it on the chrager at the end of a day.

I guess that 50 feet accuracy is fine.

Would like to have a GPS about the size of a cell phone.

Thanks,

Bill, lost in Atlanta

All a hand held gps will do is tell you the direction and distance from you to the car as the crow flies .so you may have to walk futher away from the car which would be stored as a "waypoint" in order to find your way through the buildings (could be confusing) .You will be hard pressed to find a unit that gets a sat signal in urban canyons and under tree cover 100% of the time but for the money I think you would be hard pressed to find anything better than an etrex yellow which in side by side tests is as good as my gpsmap 60c at finding and holding a lock and 1/4 the price.

Dave
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this:

http://www.gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Garmin too.

The Geko's are very basic but cheap.

The advantage you get with something like a VistaC is that you can upload tracks (the breadcrumb trails) to your PC after a trip and you can use your PC to create and edit waypoints (or favourites - same thing) on your GPS.

The VistaC can also take street maps or USA topographical maps (extra cost option) and give you turn by turn directions to your destination. This is deadly cool, and it's worth considering paying a bit more for the feature if you visit unfamiliar areas quite often.

I have a Quest which comes with Streetmaps included in the price, it's water proof, battery lasts about 18 hours (and recharges in the car or from the mains), it has a nice colour screen, it gives voice directions and it's equally at home in the car/Bike/trail/boat/plane.

When I park somewhere I mark a waypoint and then it's easy to navigate back to where you parked.

Generally speaking:

There are a lot of claims about accuracy. With WAAS enabled, you can get supposedly get 6ft accuracy under good conditions though I have never tested it against a properly surveyed point. Certainly you can navigate back to within a few feet of a waypoint you have marked a few hours before. If you return a day later then you might be 20 feet off though.

There are a lot of claims about sensitivity in urban canyons and under trees. In reality this varies an awful lot. If your GPS already has a good fix after being in an open area and you enter a heavily built-up area then you have a reasonable chance of holding a fix.

If you are trying to get a first fix from cold (GPS switched off for > 8 hours) then it can take 5 minutes to get a fix in difficult conditions. This is common to all the GPS units I have used.

Buy the Vista-C or Quest. Wink

Good luck! x
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woolygums wrote:
I have read about some of the small GPS units that don't work very well around tall buildings or even with foliage overhead.

Woolygums, did you read this:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php

It'll give you a good idea of how GPS works and why any unit is going to have trouble when it comes to tall building etc. Should help with some of the terminology aswell.

Happy reading...
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there really pocketsized little GPS devices available for stuff lieke this?
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidHobbs wrote:
Are there really pocketsized little GPS devices available for stuff lieke this?

In short, no. I really dont think there is a GPS device on the market specifically designed to find ones car in an unknown city. However it might not be long......

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/GPS_20Mall_20Car_20finder
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and that was only four years ago! Laughing
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxi wrote:
woolygums wrote:
I have read about some of the small GPS units that don't work very well around tall buildings or even with foliage overhead.

Woolygums, did you read this:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php

It'll give you a good idea of how GPS works and why any unit is going to have trouble when it comes to tall building etc. Should help with some of the terminology aswell.

Happy reading...

Maxi, This is most informative. Helps me understand the terminology and better also understand how a GPS receiver works.

Now it is down to just picking one. I do think that I will get a better one with street mapping capability and POI. That way when we are in an unfamilair city, we can not only find the hotel and car, but we can find POI while we are walking.

Thanks everyone,
Bill in Atlanta
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would recommend something like TomTom for a smartphone with their GPS receiver. It gets decent reception in city centres,, I've used it myself many times.

The big advatage is that you only need to carry the small GPS reciever, you would carry the phone anyway. I often find the map feature on it's own very useful, in a city you can often easily find out the name of the road you are on so can track down where you are via the map and work it out from there.

Most portable GPS units will do you fine, I think you are probably over analysing the specific requirements of the situation. Something which often results in spending much more money than you need to!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Personally I would recommend something like TomTom

TomTom will not meet the stated requirements:
1) it is for street navigation, but to find a car in a large parking lot may require off street navigation ability.
2) it will not work anywhere in the world as the required street maps are not always available for purchase

MarkHewitt wrote:
Most portable GPS units will do you fine, I think you are probably over analysing the specific requirements of the situation. Something which often results in spending much more money than you need to!

I agree. Buy a small cheap handheld unit. It probably won't matter which one you finally select.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: