Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navan 510 + memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navan 510 + memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Navan 510 + memory Reply with quote

Hi all this my first post so be gentle!. I have just ordered the Pan-European maps which will be arriving shortly. I read in an earlier post by "gadgetkeith" that he has loaded all of his European maps, pois, trig points etc. & still has lots of room left. (he is using a IGb memory card) I am confused as when all the countries in Mb are totaled up it comes to 1704 Mb. I know that the 510 has internal memory but how does it all figure out?.

Secondly I recall reading somewhere that the 510 can only use 512 mb cards maximum. Oh, one other thing. I notice that some cards have an extra pin. Will the 510 accept this as I need to purchase a card soon & I'm not sure what to do or what card to buy. Helllllp.

Regards,
Roy.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Extra pin Reply with quote

Hi, I have also noticed that some cards have a extra pin..I bought a MMC Card 512 mb (multimedia) with only 7 pins on it - worked partly fine in my camera and phone BUT when put in my wifes hp 375 printer - the printer would NOT read the card. When the printer was presented with a "SD Card" 512mb with the "EXTRA PIN" it read the card with no problem.....Also the MMC CARD will not (sometimes) upload on my phone were as the "SD CARD" never fails....Hope this mite be an answer to your question. I have been told that there is NO diference between a mmc card and a sd card but i think this is proof that there is.
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipwreck—I too was weary about getting an SD card above the 512Mb limit which Navman quote. Finally went ahead and my 1Gb card has given no problems. I have most of mainland Europe on it, but can't see how its possible to get the lot on (even without UK) due to space limitations. The original card I use for just UK, and there seems no space left for any POIs. According to forum posts, some claim to using 2GB cards and that should be possible as long as they are as fast or faster than the default card sent with the unit (and that's not a high spec card)

I have nothing in 'internal memory' and actually can't see how to install anything on to the internal memory anyway-Navman manual is near useless. Possibly there is an advantage in using internal memory (speed) but its too small to hold more than a single map from what I can see.

Any pointers as loading up internal memory would be welcome. Thanks.
Shipwreck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. For your info. I have just received a reply from Navman's helpdesk. They inform me that I can only use a 512mb card only. I have however gone with yours, & others sugestions & ordered a 1Gb card.

Fingers crossed!

Regards,
Roy.
Rich-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be dissappointed. Technically, an SD card is more advanced and faster than MMC (a dying standard) which is the card supplied with the 510. My 1GB is only an Ultra II — nothing special in terms of speed, and I had no problems at all in using the European maps when travelling through Germany, Austria, etc last month.

It would be good to know what advantages there are in using the internal memory—indeed, how to load/activiate it as all mine says is "no map loaded". I'll see what response I get from Navman.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: