Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works well?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works well? Reply with quote

I've been thinking for a while of buying a GPS system to use with my PDA, and I'd pretty much settled on getting a BT-338 bluetooth GPS. The problem came when trying to decide on software, but I narrowed my choice down to TomTom Navigator and CoPilot based on the reviews on here. Both looked pretty good from the reviews: "OK, time for a read through the forums" I thought.

5 minutes later: "OK, so CoPilot sucks despite what the review says. Looks like TomTom is the one then."
5 minutes later again: "OK, so that's bug-ridden as well. Erm...."

Both products seem to have pretty significant bugs and fairly major flaws with their mapping and their routing algorithms. So, is there a product available, preferably using the (more accurate, or so I understand) NavTeq maps, that will reliably let me navigate (including going to a specific postcode in the UK and ideally allowing navigation in France as well as the UK) without either sending me miles out of my way, down a farm track or to the wrong road? From reading the forums it seems that there isn't....

Maybe I shouldn't have looked and just bought something.... Smile
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alFR,

I have bought both products (as well as Navman SmartST Pro, and Teletype). Both have different routing problems, although personally I have not had any routing problems using TT5. As you have noticed a number of people have found bugs in both, but again I have not had problems with bugs in either.

Nobody yet seems close to a producing a product that will please us all. If you are worried about routing, go for CoPilot if you prefer being guided along major roads, TT5 if you prefer routes which are typically shorter and quicker in a car. CoPilot uses the theoretically better Navteq maps, but I don't think it makes very good use of them, and I don't like the way it doesn't give instructions on motorways (e.g. turn right in 288 miles and then silence).

My current preference of all the products I have used and the one I use every day is TT5, although I still have SmartST Pro V2 installed, with the (Navteq) maps from V1.96.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works w Reply with quote

alFR wrote:

You're always going to find someone with something to complain about with any system and simalarly theres going to be people that are happy with it. I've got TTN5 and never had any experience of Tomtom before. Many of the complaints in the Forums regarding the TTN5 are from users of previous versions who say that various elements have either been taken away or are harder to use on version 5. This may be true and yes there are some bugs however I dont think any of them are show-stoppers and am more than happy with my purchase.

The forums can be really helpful for choosing the right product, however theres no substitute for being able to get hold of a system before you buy it and see if you like it.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is also fair to say that, whichever software you chose, there can be quite a steep learning curve, if you want to extract the best out of it.

Personal experience with helping others (with various software - not just navigation software) is to read any documentation you can find - printed (if you are lucky) or electronic (print it out if you can) from beginning to end, then read it again with the unit in front of you.

Try to start with the product with as many features as possible at their defaults, and just work through the manual again - even though it may not have appeared to have made much sense on the first read through - you will be amazed at just how much has been retained.

When you are reasonably happy with that, you are then ready to start changing these settings in line with your requirements.

Finally (although you would be suprised at how many start here!) you will be ready to start tweaking/adding other features (ie safety camera information etc)

NB - it is always a good idea (essential!) to have a back-up of your installation before you start playing around - it is the quickest way to undo anything you will inevitably upset during your messing around.

Also - Don't expect ANY navigation software to always come up with the 'best' route all the time - it can't have local knowledge (ie avoid the entrance to IKEA on a sale day!) just be happy if the route is reasonable, and be prepared to 'assist' the routing (ie with waypoints in CoPilot) - and always keep an up-to-date road atlas as a back-up - unless the unit fails it will usually tell you where you are!

If you are able (as I do) spend a little time planning the route before hand, and ensure that the software is suggesting a route you are happy with, you should be happy with whichever you buy. If however, you want it to be a great navigator doing ALL the work for you, my personal opinion is that none of the software is really at that level yet - and you will probaby be very dissapointed.
KW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my capacity as a Tech, I've used

* Tomtom2
* Tomtom3 to 5(actually, I own my own purchased copy of that one)
* Alturion 5 and 6
* Navigon 3
* Via Michelin

as far as PDA-based navigation goes.

Hands down, Tomtom3 has long been my favorite. TT5 isn't quite there yet in my opinion, but it will be soon. When it does, I'll upgrade to TT5, no question about it.

I haven't come across as single program that didn't have some rather nasty bug or some form of illogical behavior, but TT's range fit my needs and answers my demands the best of all.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works w Reply with quote

alFR wrote:

Spot on....

I won't iterate what others have said, but to add my penny worth...
Experience with TT2, TT3.2 and not TT5

TT2 & 3 were confusing for a novice to install. TT5, a doddle.

I am happy with TT5 - I has dropped me outside the door on about every occasion I have asked it to do. It intigrates nicely with PC2003 'Outlook' address book: IE when looking up an address in the address book, the TOOL menu has a "Navigate to" feature that kicks in TT5 and sets up a route to the address in question. (As I have 500+ addresses, it is a huge "favorites" database!) (It does get a little confused if the Outlook address does not conform to number/street. IR if it is a name of a house like "Dunromin" etc...

However, TT5 is the bees knees as far as I am concerened...

Personally I think TT5 is easier to use than earlier iterations because of the improve menuing.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a PDA navigation solution that actually works w Reply with quote

[quote="Donald"]
alFR wrote:

Experience with TT2, TT3.2 and not TT5

opps...That should read:
Experience with TT2, TT3.2 and NOW TT5
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in PDA GPS software is:

TomTom to version 5
Navman Smart ST 2-3
Destinator
Alturion
Via Michelin
Navigon
AA Navigator
Garmin

I think everyone likes TomTom because it is the most easiest to understand and to operate, the same way that most people prefer Windows to any other OS its user friendly. TomTom has come along way since it was first released. I personally like all the different viewing modes in tomtom 3 and how you navigated through them but everything changes and I think TomTom 5 is a cut down version of 3, tomtom 5 however does give you some more options like tomtom plus. They are a lot of different software applications like Navman which software I personally like also.

Its good that there is now a larger amount of manufactures competing in the GPS market, this means that the software will continue to get better and better as the companies try to compete against one another, (also will reduce the cost to the end user).
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - looks like the situation maybe isn't so bleak after all! Smile

Reckon I'll go for TomTom on balance - now to see if I can find the software with euro maps anywhere in time for going on holiday!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its your first nav then id go with aa nav and build from there it is stable enough 1900miles last week via bluetooth gps full post codes it could be quicker at rerouting and the map is quicker to redraw with the lastest version there is speedcamera add on but you can only use the data from the aa at the moment i think its around 55quid per year for speed camera subscription download and over alk set up of the navigation software and camera warning software is very easy,
routing is good, and its a no frills navigation program
thats my personal reomendation if you done like the software you can for around £100 or so change it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: