Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Navigator - Not Looking Good...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Navigator - Not Looking Good...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: TT Navigator - Not Looking Good... Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before TT's main interest is with their GO products and probably explains why the V5 release has been so late, and poorly tested.

The future doesn't look good if you look at TT's trading figures, revenue for non integrated products ie Navigator is -46% compared with last year, number of units sold -30%. With figures like this would you continue to invest money & resource into a market that is reducing.

I wonder if the reduction in sales is due soley to the market reducing, or TT customers finding better / alternative products?
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting figures indeed.
I would have thought the overall market for SatNav was growing not shrinking but can understand if the PDA/SatNav market is declining as the vast majority of people want something that works "straight out of the box". Let's face it most of the people who are regular contributors to forums like this are probably quite computer/PDA/SatNav literate and have probably spent many hours browsing/contributing to these forums either trying to fix some problem on their own set-up or helping other solve their problems. I have a pretty stable H2210/TTN3/PostCodes set-up that I use daily in my work but that only reached that situation by my asking for help on numerous occasions from these forums plus updates from TT. Many many people simply couldn't be arsed and would quite rightly expect the thing to work straight away without having to resort to all the hassle most of us have contended with over the past couple of years.
I can certainly see the likes of GO and other dedicated systems that are now available and will be offered in the future being the future growth engine for the likes of TT but find it difficult to believe that Navigator will see versions reaching double figures!
Of course you can always ask yourself why should there be more and more future upgrades to the product because at the end of the day it is only a driving aid - the main criteria should be the completeness and accuracy of the maps but the actual software itself must at some stage reach a stage where there is really nothing left to change. I can see the rationale of TT wanting a "common platform", which has now been achieved with TT5 and once the bugs have been sorted (which I am sure they will be at some stage in the future) I really cannot see how much further this product can develop.
Anyway that's my view on the subject.

Cheers

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: TT Navigator - Not Looking Good... Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
As I've mentioned before TT's main interest is with their GO products and probably explains why the V5 release has been so late, and poorly tested.

Isn't the integrated product of the near future going to be the combined
PDA/Mobile Phone/SatNav systems running something like
Microsoft Mobile 5 rather than something such as TomTom's Go.

SpeedCam wrote:
The future doesn't look good if you look at TT's trading figures, revenue for non integrated products ie Navigator is -46% compared with last year, number of units sold -30%. With figures like this would you continue to invest money & resource into a market that is reducing.

The future market is unlikely to be for the GO unit and as Tomtom are unlikely to be able to compete (price wise) in the hardware PDA or mobile phone market their only real market is their software.

The baseline GO units cannot even compete at the bottom end of the market with supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl regularly selling complete PDA/Sat Nav systems for just over £200.

SpeedCam wrote:
I wonder if the reduction in sales is due soley to the market reducing, or TT customers finding better / alternative products?

The map suppliers say that the market is increasing so maybe potential TomTom customers are aware that the latest offering is sub-standard and are seeking alternatives.

I read an American review of TomTom and other Sat nav products recently and the TT packages came very close to the bottom of the list. If TT is not highly regarded in the USA and they have failed to give their European customers an acceptable product what market do they have left?
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the PDA market itself has hit a plateau so it's not surprising that sales of PDA related products is struggling. You'll probably see an increase in mobile phone/smartphone based satnav sales though.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report indicated that the GO product was the main business interest, they did quote +700% growth, year on year for integrated products. This isn't a fair comparison because TT did not have an integrated product last. They are predicting a further 33% increase in sales

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: