Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ACER N10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ACER N10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: ACER N10 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have an Acer N10 PDA which if possible i'd like to use for SAT NAV. I know its not the best but i dont see bying a new set up if this will work for my requirement?

AS i have the PDA already & I have a version of Tom Tom 3 i would require a GPS receiver to complete the project. The only option i think i have is to buy a compact flash receiver? Can anyone tell me if they feel this set up would work with this combination of PDA/software and Receiver, what compact flash GPS receiver they suggest and the biggest question is if there is anyone that offers a trial or return policy on Hardware? It would be nice to buy a GPS receiver knowing that if it does not work i can return it for full / partial refund (partial in the sence of 10% deduction for restocking fee for example)?

I have been using my dads HP2210 / Tomtom wired which i have found to be pretty damn good. However he uses it with a wired GPS receiver and dedicated cradle for connection and charging. Is there any disadvantage of using Compact flash other than using up a potential memory slot (which is no Concern as i'd use the SD slot anyhow) on the PDA?

Oh there is also the question of a mount but i guess any simple cradles will work and the charging lead will come from the cigarette lighter direct into the PDA. I know this lead is available to buy for the Acer N10 so shouldn't be an issue...... unless anyone can tell me otherwise? Confused

Sorry for so many questions but if you can help it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Darren
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Acer n10. Since the device doesnt have a serial port a wired GPS is out of the question. Your two options are;

1) Compact Flash GPS - Like you suggested, this is probably cheapest and easiest way to go

2) Bluetooth GPS - This is what I use but since the n10 doesnt have bluetooth you need a bluetooth compact flash card. You can get these cheap sometimes but be careful as some wont work with Windows Mobile 2003. Mines a Billionton one which does work. I use it together with a Navman 440 reciever.

I would suggest the compact flash GPS as it is a lot lkess fuss. Even though my BT card supports WM2003 it isnt fantastic. I often have to soft reset just to get it working.

As far as software goes any SAT NAV products should work.

Trevor
Savin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the feeback Trevor Smile

I guess i now need to find out what people would recomend as the best Compact Flash Receiver? The Haicom 303E Looks quite good and a reasonable price. What does everyone think?

I dont want to pay a fortune (i know no one does) because if i was going to spend a lot then i'd just buy a whole new system like the Tom Tom wired HP2110?

Does anyone know if any of the online retailers offer a trial or return? I know that Global positioning systems sell some products as "customer returned". I just want to know that if i buy a product that does not work in the sense that the setup is just not compatable (rather than Faulty) then i can return the product for refund?

Does anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Cheers
Darren
Savin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i didn't quite get the response here that i was hoping for which is a shame Crying or Very sad

However i decided to take the plunge and have bought the sysonchip compact flash receiver based on the review section of this forum. What can i say other than bloody superb!! If you want a compact flash GPS receiver i would say this is the muts nuts. It small, light and very accurate. I am picking up on average 7 satelites sat in doors a good few meters away from the window (all be it upstairs but never the less). At one point, for a very short period (30seconds to a minute) i was showing 10 which i've never ever seen from my dads 2210 tomtom wired?? The small tests i've done so far have been brilliant but baring in mind that i've yet to buy a mount, (broadbit i think as they are the only people who make a dedicated passive cradle for me N10) so the unit has only been rested on the passenger seat. It's been fine and tracked my position superbly. I just wanted to share this with everyone who may be considering a compact flash GPS. I have had excellent results with the unit (Working with TOMTOM3 i have to add) and also baring in mind that the PDA is not the best in the world. I'm glad i made the choice even though it's a little more than i wanted to pay? Global positioning systems were brilliant and advised me prepurchase that if the unit failed to work with my setup then i could return it for full refund as long as it was with in 7 days.........Brilliant, you cant ask fairer than that?? Laughing

Go buy one Exclamation Wink
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Savin

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase, thats the way it should be :D

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: