Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating from the UK through France to Germany
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating from the UK through France to Germany
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Navigating from the UK through France to Germany Reply with quote

I think I already know the answer to this but there's no harm asking....
I'm due to go on a trip soon calling at addresses in various towns France, Belgium, Holland and finally Germany.
I have all the maps installed on my SD card. Is it possible to navigate at street level across borders and maps or do I have to use MRE then stop to switch to the detailed maps?
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you have to switch maps, as you suspected. It's not that bad to do though, if you have time to prepare all your destinations as POIs beforehand. I did it recently, using TTN3, for a holiday journey across Europe and it wasn't difficult, and was impressively accurate and useful.

It may be useful to note that you can copy POI files from the detailed map to the MRE map. So you can precisely pinpoint your destinations on the detailed country map and create POIs for them, then copy the POI file to the MRE map folder and you'll have your destinations in exactly the right place.

Of course if you're using TTN5 then you could use a 'plus' map for one of the countries so that you'll have te detailed mapping for that country and the rest of the MRE combined - it'll save one or two of the map switching options.

If you're using TTN3 and using map segments rather than whole countries, it's useful to make a mental note of where on your journey the detailed map begins, so you know when to switch.

Paul
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I should have mentioned I'm using the TT5 upgrade.
Creating a series of POIs works a treat.
I have GB plus installed but MRE is unlikely to have the detail necessary when navigating to a POI in a city so it'll be back to street level maps - four of them.
Is there any way TT5 can look for POIs in just one map folder when I change maps rather than me having to copy them to the individual map folders?
I think I know the answer to this too....
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hint, don't use GB plus if that is where you are starting from - You don't need MRE on a map that you use all the time. pick your final destination where you will be using most of the time on minor roads and use that plus version.

Countries you drive through on the way only install streat level if you need it - the MRE maps hav all but minor residential roads - they will get you to most POIs and all city and town centers.

The reason for having the destination plus map is that when you get back you don't have a huge map with loads of city data slowing down TT. Only use MRE when abroad. You can switch maps easily when in the tunnel or on a ferry so that is not a big deal. If you need street level for the transit countries, it takes econds at a motorway halt to change maps from the MRE on the plus map to the local street evel map. I have done it and it is no trouble at all.
Jasoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dosnt tomtom website state that you can Plan seamless routes through-out Europe using the major road network??

http://www.tomtom.com/shop/upgrade.php?action=pda&TT=b8ffb75a0b36dc7e9e8dfd3a9ce38b77
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasoon wrote:
Dosnt tomtom website state that you can Plan seamless routes through-out Europe using the major road network??

Yes it does and I've used MRE very successfully to navigate around rural areas of northern France but I shall be visiting various large towns and cities for which I shall require street level maps.
It's a shame that if you've a card with sufficient capacity you can't plonk the maps on all as one to provide cross-border navigation + detail when you need it.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,

Thanks - that makes sense. I'll delete GB Plus and install GB and Benelux Plus instead.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the two maps I have permanently installed - if I was planning a trip to France, instead of through France, I have the room for it.

In TT4 Gerrmany and France had national maps, and much smaller regional maps. I am astonished that TT5 doesn't have these. If I am dropping over the border from Arnhem to Kleve, why do I need a map of Berlin?

Do TT invest their profits in SD card manufacturers?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,
For the past 40 years I've been driving to Germany from the UK, usually never further east than Essen, more often around the Dutch/German border staying at Venlo.
Regional maps would be much more convenient than national maps but now I have a 1GB SD card it's not so much of a problem. It must be difficult for those (like you describe) who hop backwards and forwards across the border.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1Gb card so can just get GB, France, Benelux and Germany on a card including one Plus version - but why should I need to fill a card when I could get the areas I want on less than 512mb using the TT4 maps.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornist wrote:
It may be useful to note that you can copy POI files from the detailed map to the MRE map. So you can precisely pinpoint your destinations on the detailed country map and create POIs for them, then copy the POI file to the MRE map folder and you'll have your destinations in exactly the right place.
Paul

If I create a POI using a detailed map of France, it's stored in poi.dat in the 'France' folder. If I then copy that poi file to the 'Benelux Plus' folder because that's the map I've installed with MRE, it's going to overwrite the Benelux POI file.
What I'd like to be able to do is copy individual POIs from each of four different detailed maps to a single poi.dat file that is usable with MRE and the detailed maps and that doesn't overwrite each country's individual detailed POIs.
Is that a job for POIEdit?
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll have to wait, British GP tomorrow...
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you create POIs they should be in .ov2 files and not in the .dat file - that's for the preinstalled POIs. The .ov2 file will carry the name of the category you create to put the POI in. TT has some icons, but you can design your own and replace the TT one with your own.

If you want to export to the MRE map the inbuilt POIs from all the relevant poi.dat files, that looks like a major undertaking! I would recommend using POIEdit to create custom POI databases that have the relevant POPIs in - there are plenty of free sites offering POI collections.

If yo uhave been adding POIs to the inbuilt databases, don't - it is far better to put them in custom categories, so, for example, you won't overwrite them with a reinstall.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,

I downloaded and installed POIEdit last night. I had a quick look at it, created some POIs and custom categories and saved them to the appropriate map folders - all in ten minutes, a quick and easy solution.

Thanks for your advice, my problem solved!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: