Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advise needed on GPS unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise needed on GPS unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevinkus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Advise needed on GPS unit Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Dell Axim X30 with BlueTooth that I would like to use with a GPS unit. Im having trouble deciding on the best unit (too many options!)

Basically, im looking for a unit with Bluetooth that will allow me to use it for street navigation (driving) as well as hiking (id like to try geocaching). Im in New Jersey and would like to find a good map for my region (NY, NJ, CONN) as well as NYC.

Also, under $150 good, under $100 better.

Should I use multiple software packages for the different uses or is there one package that can handle both?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advise needed on GPS unit Reply with quote

Kevinkus wrote:
Hi

I have a Dell Axim X30 with BlueTooth that I would like to use with a GPS unit. Im having trouble deciding on the best unit (too many options!)

Basically, im looking for a unit with Bluetooth that will allow me to use it for street navigation (driving) as well as hiking (id like to try geocaching). Im in New Jersey and would like to find a good map for my region (NY, NJ, CONN) as well as NYC.

Also, under $150 good, under $100 better.

Should I use multiple software packages for the different uses or is there one package that can handle both?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think you've answered your own question to a degree. You can get software packages which are very good at driving navigation, and you can get packages which are very good at hiking and geocaching. Each tends to be very poor at the other type of task. So yes, I would suggest you get two packages.

Which ones.. Well you could do worse than get a TomTom5 package with Bluetooth receiver, that will do your street navigation.

Now for your hiking, I would recommend memory-map, as it will have detailed topographical maps and it will keep a record of your exact journey, however I'm not sure what maps are available for your area since I've only used it in the UK.

As for under $100.. not a chance, sorry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: