Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi audible warning settings lost???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi audible warning settings lost???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: poi audible warning settings lost??? Reply with quote

Hi

I have a mio 168 with Tomtom navigator 5. I have installed the pocketgpsworld speead camera database and the modification to the warning sounds. -instead of a bell a nice womans voice tells me what is ahead.

Normally this all works fine but twice over the weekend all the sound settings for the camera poi disabled themselves. So twice I had to choose them from the list in the manage poi screen and then choose a sound and warning distance in the Audible warning setup screen.

My dad has had the same experience with the tomtom navigator 5 software on his navman pin. ( I know thee pin and the mio 168 are the same unit.)

The only reasons I believe the poi defaulted back to factory settings were when I accidentally hit the mute sounds button and when I tried to include another poi - restaurants. Though why it should do this is beyond me.

Has anyone else had a simillar experience? Is there a solution to this?
Does anyone know which file contains the poi instructions setup information that I could back up so I don't have to keep manually re-inputting the poi preferences?

Thanks for you help.

Masrock
Chizzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the same experience on an Ipaq 3715. There is a lot oif discussion on this site re ensuring your SD card is not write protected and that the Great_Britain_Map.cfg file is not set to read only.

However, I've tried both of these and still I ahve the problem. Drives you mad don't it !!!!

Have a look at the topic re POI's on the list above, but as I say I still haven't cracked it.

Chizzer[/quote]
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs with my Mio 168. I use the data.chk file from http://www.rayflanagan.co.uk/ switch voice on & off often & also use the silent voice from Ray as well. I tried using checkpoint 5 for pio warning & that's when problems started so binned it & set up 2 lots of speed related files (just deleted the 'pocketgps_' part of the file name to create the second batch), use one for the first general early warning & the other for the speed related warnings so have some 32 warnings to set which is a pain but only needs to be done once (for me anyhow :D :D :D ).
Hope you solve your problem.
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, That's a damn good idea setting up two warnings like that. Wish I'd thought of it especially for mobile lasers that have a long potential range.

If I can find and back up the file that contains my settings maybe I'll set mine up like that. But at the moment, with them occasionally losing the settings, it would nbe a real pain to have to do more than once.

Time to gooole to find the various speed camera detection range limits.

Masrock
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File appears to be the Great_Britain-Map.cfg or Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg depending on which map is installed (storage card - map folder).

As for distances I just set up a spreadsheet to calculate how far I would travel at each speed in XX seconds (the time ahead of the camera that I wanted the speed related warning) and doubled it for the first (gereral warning, this could also be speed related). I wanted mobile warnings a few seconds earlier than fixed warnings because position is not always the same each time so made it 10secs for gatso 15secs for mobile. Temp & Specs I made 1,000yards as I would think that most of these would be on motorways & dual carriageways.

Only problem of setting too great a range could be that cameras on nearby roads may be detected but is that such a bad thing? It may make you check your speed.

I even copied (& edited) the speed related icons as both poi icons are displayed (one on top of the other).
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had another thought.

there seems to be a file with todays date within the files with the maps. this must be written when tt5 is shutdown and records the last settings of your unit. Maybe hitting the off switch too soon after closing down tt5 may be at the route of a lot of the problems people seem to have.

any opinions on this?

Masrock

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: