Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - missing roads and map install fail after EU Maps update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

missing roads and map install fail after EU Maps update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: missing roads and map install fail after EU Maps update Reply with quote

Hi

Could do with some help here as no response from ALK (Email or phone). Initial install with UK Maps OK but when EU maps activated two faults occurred.

1. Unable to download european maps properly (would only download fairly small file). I wanted to download all the eu maps except Scandinavia and Czech. Download wizard said file size was 95 Mb. tried with card reader and activesync. needless to say result was nbg.

2. PC Program will now not show any roads although poi's are displayed.

Work around for 1. is to install total map cd to sd card (1Gb card). unsatisfactory but it works. I really could do with some space back.

There also does not appear to be a female tts option on the CD.

Any help with these issues much appreciated. I thought from the review on this site that I was buying into a mature piece of software but am now beginning to feel that I have been mugged.

Best Regards

Martin R Dare
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget what the instructions say - UK version has Female Wav (Welcome to CoPilot voice I think) and Male TTS only!
As for v.48 (which I presume is an upgrade rather than an original installation) - I have (along with numerous others) had difficulty getting the Male TTS working. A quick fix is to save your language.cfg file before you update, (it is in the copilot directory on the Pocket PC - not the SD Card) and copy it back after updating (I presume that you did a backup from which you can restore before you upgraded). As for the other problems - sorry I'm not the person to ask.
picclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply and the info. Its not an upgrade but brand new software I purchased about a week ago. I havn't applied any patches or upgrades.

I've tried reinstalling software but it doesn't fix the bug.

I just wish ALK would reply to my email/phone call.

Best Regards

Martin R Dare
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay - for some reason whenever I try to list new posts - it says there aren't any - even though forums with new posts have the orange icon!

I wonder if the same problem applies to the CD version as well as the update.

I have Male TTS installed and my language.cfg contents are:

[RelativeDirectories]
"TTSDir"="/pocket speech\mle01\ukenglish\roger132"

[Settings]
"Current Language"="UK English"

Is yours the same?
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@picclock

Get used to that level of support from ALK,

I bought copilot 5 in October last year, I reported several problems with it to them via e-mail within the first week or so of me having it. It took them until February this year to respond (email came from Sunil Mistry and all it did was apologise for the delay and ask me to contact them again if I was still having problems)

As i was still having the same problems (missing places/roads and poi's etc.) and was still unable to contact them by phone I responded again by e-mail - this took another long delay before a response again from Sunil Mistry saying they were aware of the problems, were investigating them and hoped to have a fix soon.

That was back in March and i'm still waiting for a response from them. I've spent several hours over the last 6 months or so waiting either "on hold" or with just an unanswered constant "ringing" tone. I have never in all that time managed to actually speak to a member of staff in person.

If you can get your money back I'd seriously look at doing so, the level of Customer Service from ALK is totally useless. Just read the forum here and you'll see a very high number of people with the same problems and getting the same dismal level of help from ALK.

Regards,

Northernbloke
picclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally Sorted.

I PM'd Dave Burrows who kindly spent time on Saturday sorting out the problem.

The culprit was Activesync ( 3.8 ), which truncated the files going to the storage card. Because I was unaware of this I tried to register the desktop application with the EU maps registration which caused additional problems. When I uninstalled the application, a file and registry value were not removed resulting in a continuing problem.

I now have most of the EU street maps on a 1Gb card, and am able to plot routes accross europe. Even the POI's seem to work.

The trick seems to be to disconnect the pda, force CoPilot on the PC to save the files to a hard drive (two folders, 2577 and copilot), then copy the folders to the storage card using a card reader (or in my case an mp3 player).

So hats off and thumbs up for Dave, who honestly seems to be trying to improve a fairly dodgy company (Never had response from phone messages or email from ALK).

Now if only we had that proper female voice .. .

Best Regards

Martin R Dare

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: