Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5: Navigate via POI gives option for "Route" &am
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5: Navigate via POI gives option for "Route" &am

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: TT5: Navigate via POI gives option for "Route" &am Reply with quote

When you have a route and then you select:

Find Alternative -> Travel Via -> Point Of Interest

The POI window appears and has a box at the bottom which selects between "Route" and "Position".

When you select between them, the distances shown, but does anyone know exactly what this does?

I have a feeling that its something to do changing between 'As the crow flys' and "how far by road", but I can't actually work it out.

I would like to think that this instructions would help, but the only page which talks about POI is Page 7 and I think that there is an error.

Page 7 talks about setting a POI as a destination and shows a window with the Route/Position button! But that window should not have the Route/Position button.. The only time you get this button is when you are doing 'via' and as far as I can see, this is not covered by the instructions.

Any info on this would be appreciated

Jon
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting, I hadn't found that option before.

From planning a route in my local area the two options appear to do the following:

The POI's are initially shown relative to your actual position ie: POI's nearest to the GPS position are shown first.

Tapping "Route" then shows the POI's relative to the planned route ie: POI's nearest to the route are shown first.

Tapping "Position" takes you back to POI's shown relative to your GPS position.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initally thought that, but I am still not convinced.

If it were true, then say you had a long distance route (Say 100 miles) and then did 'via POI' (lets say a petrol station), then there would be litereally 100s of not 1000s of locations listed when you hit the 'route' button, as there would be loads of stations close to the route.

But when you do this you still only see local(ish) locations shown...

NO WAIT!!!! You are absolutely right.. I just did a route from Newport to Ipswitch... Then I did via Petrol stations.. Under 'Position' I saw the one which were local to me.. But then I hit route and I got a constantly changing list of stations whilst it sorted them out in to an order.

The one at the top is 196miles away, but its obviously the closest to the route.

Now thats a NICE feature!!!!

Thanks for the info

Jon
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something still isn't quite explained.

There is a MacDonnalds a few 100 yards of the motorway nearby..

If I do a route from Home to Bristol this McDonnalds and then say "via McDonnalds", it is shown this branch as 2.3miles away when in 'Position' mode.. But when I hit the 'route' button, it changes to 3.6miles

I have a feeling that under Route is showing the distance from your position using roads, but under Position is as the crow flys.

Let me run Autoroute a seconds and see......... Yeo.. I think thats it.. According to Autorote, this McDonnalds is 2.3 miles away from me 'As the crow flys' and approx 3.6 miles away via roads.

Not sure if this is a good feature or not.. Is there any reason why you would want to know the distance to a POI as the crow flys??
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I wonder if it always worked like this before (i.e as the crow flys).. To give you a list of loads of locations with their distance, would take loads of calculation.. WHere as to do it 'as the crow flys' would be near instant.

I am thinking now that when you hit the 'route' button it does the calculations and gives you more accurate distances to the POI??

The only thing I would like to see differently is how far the POI is off the route.. I know you get arrows, but personally I would rather see an actual distance, or atleast the definition of the arrow explained rathen than "slightly off route", "slightly more off route" etc

Jon
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nothings perfect. I live on the South side of the Thames Estuary and a good many nearest POI's are shown in Southend on the North side of the Estuary.
These are shown as 10 miles away, as the crow flys, but in actual fact are good 100 miles away since the nearest river crossing is at Dartford!!!!
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahha.. So for you, this new feature will be REALLY useful as now it shows you the 'real' distance to a POI (Assuming you already have a route selected of course)?

Thanks for confirming that!

Jon
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an experiment I have just planned a route from where I live on the South side of the Thames Estuary to Southend-on-Sea which is on the North side of the Estuary, a distance of 84 miles.

On selecting Find alternative\Travel via\Point of Interest the Position screen shows a POI which is in Southend to be 12 miles away, that needs a boat!

On switching to the Route screen this is now shows the actual route distance for the same POI as 83.5 miles!

So you are correct, Position is as crow flies and Route is actual distance.

Interesting!

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweaver wrote:
The only thing I would like to see differently is how far the POI is off the route.. I know you get arrows, but personally I would rather see an actual distance, or atleast the definition of the arrow explained rathen than "slightly off route", "slightly more off route" etc

Jon

From using the TTG I would say that a Straight Green is on the Route, an Offset Green is on an access road, or close by, your Route.

The Orange Arrow indicates it's nearby the Route but is probably a mile or so away.

No indicator means it's not a viable waypoint for that trip.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: