Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I backup the SD Navigator 5 Card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I backup the SD Navigator 5 Card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveLDC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: How do I backup the SD Navigator 5 Card? Reply with quote

I am completely new to PDAs and SD cards and TT Navigator 5. I got the complete system on Friday and one of the first instructions in the Navigator 5 setup was that I should make a copy of the SD card? Went to my computer, right click on SD CARD folder, COPY, and then copied to a destination on my C: drive.
Took out the TT 5 SD card, inserted a 256 MB card and then copied the SD CARD folder from the C: drive to SD card. The files take ages to copy over and I notice that the copy says "Convert to Mobile Device Format"!
Now on the PDA I tap the TomTom icon and it says "No maps found".
What am I doing wrong and why is my copied SD card not working?
SEIDIO 2500 Amplified mount.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing to do is invest is a memory card reader, if you have USB2 on your computer that will copy the maps over much faster. You can pickup the memory card readers for about 15 quid (well worth the money for transfering files, music movies etc.)
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
best thing to do is invest is a memory card reader, if you have USB2 on your computer that will copy the maps over much faster. You can pickup the memory card readers for about 15 quid (well worth the money for transfering files, music movies etc.)

To add a little to Steven's reply. What a lot of folk don't appreciate is that there is nothing magic about SD or CD cards when used with a card reader.

As Steven says - they are MUCH faster when transfering data.

When you connect a card reader to your computer, the computer thinks you have just plugged in another hard drive. All you need to do is think of your SD card as a hard drive and copy to an fro to your hearts content...

The only reservations on that is that some files DO need to be converted before the PDA can read them. (EG: Words, Excell to mention but 2) and they should be transfered to the sd/cf cards via the computer-pda synch cable.

That said ALL of the files associated with Navigator 5 can be transfered via the card reader.

With respect to your original Navigator SD, Once you have a card reader, create a directory on your HD and copy SD the contents there for safe keeping. Never modify or change the Original files. Always work on duplicates - that way, if disaster strikes.... You can also burn an additional backup cd as well....

Hope that helps
daveLDC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Copy of SD Card - I've done it! Reply with quote

:D Thank you both for your advice re- getting a card reader. Just for now I have managed to get a working copy of the Navigator SD card by making sure that I transfered the files back from my C: drive using the ActiveSync connection and the "File Explorer" drag & drop. Just using a normal file copy did not seem to work. As I said, it takes ages to transfer the files so a card reader is now high onmy shopping list.
:D
SEIDIO 2500 Amplified mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: