Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3630 with TomTom3, not too happy :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3630 with TomTom3, not too happy :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjabber25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: 3630 with TomTom3, not too happy :( Reply with quote

Hi, I been using TomTom 3 with my Ipaq 3630 and the copilot jacket for quite a whilte now, and I noticed that it's a bit slow. Is this due to the iPaq itself (206Mhz processor, and 32MB RAM) since I am thinking of getting a new iPaq with 400Mhz and 64MB RAM. Do you think this will improve the speed?

I also find that with long routes, when the iPaq has to recalculate the route on the fly because I have taken a wrong turn, it locks up, but only on LONG journeys. I think this is because of the 32MB RAM.

Can anyone help, will it help if I splash out on a shiny new iPaq with double the ram and processing power?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running TomTom 3 on the same setup, and have not yet found it to be slow or to lock up. I believe the important thing is to have as much RAM available as possible. If you want you can read my article about that ( http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-navigator-registry-hack.php )

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you haven't got any other applications running in memory. There might be some lurking in there that don't appear on the running programs list, a soft reset will usually sort them out.

Also make sure you don't have route recalculation set to 'strict' as this will recalculate the entire route every time you take an unexpected turn, as opposed to normal which will first try to navigate you back to the original route.

Personally if I were thinking of upgrading a setup such as yours I would go for something better than 64mb and 400mhz, as this is already getting out of date.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a similar setup to you, although my iPAQ is more recent 3830, but still with 32MB of RAM.

For the first year of ownership I suffered freezes and lockups which I attributed (in hindsight incorrectly) to the 'limited' amount of RAM. When I purchased the Maps of W Europe, I also upgraded to a 512MB Viking CF card. The difference in operation was fantastic, no freezes, fast route calculations etc. This was all down to the quality of the CF card as compared to my original.

Also it is important to use something like Storage Tools to keep memory cards 'sweet' i.e. defragged and error free.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
jibberjabber25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks guys. I have upgraded to 400Mhz and 64MB RAM and I have had no problems yet. Fingers xed. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: