Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - zipbbs file install problem @ 99%
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

zipbbs file install problem @ 99%
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: zipbbs file install problem @ 99% Reply with quote

when installing copilot 5 it gets to 99% and an error appears about a zipbbs file and then install gets to 100% However the program wont run
Looking on the disc the zipbbs DAT file is 1,773 kb. Can someone confirm this size or give an explanation
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you having the problem, ie:
Installing from the CD via an ActiveSync connection to the Pocket PC
Installing to a location on the Computer (ready to copy to a SD card)
Installing to an SD card in a reader
Installing to an SD card in the Pocket PC
Installing from an SD card in the PocketPC

Also, which region (ie UK) are you installing.
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happens when trying to install to pc and ppc. Disc 1 goes ok till 20% then disc 2 is inserted and it gets to 99% when msg appears, says acces is denied and make sure is accessable
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say which region - I am only familiar with the UK

PS - do you have a card reader, and can you read/write to the card with that?
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in the uk yes, but i dont get that far. I'm geting this problem when 1st installing to pc
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch on the CD maybe? This can cause an access denied error.

Dave
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyman69 wrote:
i live in the uk yes, but i dont get that far. I'm geting this problem when 1st installing to pc

I needed to know whether you were in the UK, because I only know the UK version, so if you had another version, the instructions could differ and the experience I have, be of little use to you.

As to the card reader, I find it so much easier (and quicker) to install using a card reader (I actually gave up the other way), and assuming that you are more interested in getting the software to work, rather than how you do it, and I can probably help with installation directly from the SD card - do you have a card reader?

I now appreciate that you are seeing the problem on the PC, so the Pocket PC may not be into the equation yet, but have you tried installing JUST to the desktop PC - the early screens give you the choice of which version(s) you want to install - DO NOT install anything PocketPC at this stage.

If you can get just the desktop portion to install, I am reasonably confident that we can make progress from there.

PS Before you re-install, check in Add/Remove programs and remove anything Co-Pilot, and delete the folder C:\Program Files\CoPilot (I assume that you are using Windows XP)
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the delay in writing back, as i work away a lot.

I have managed to install to destop like you said and all gone ok, by the way at the install maps to pc option i chose not too. Oh i also have a card reader.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you install the maps to your PC - or is this where you get the problem? If you can install the complete PC program (including the maps) we could almost be there.

Before you re-install, remove via Add/Remove programs and delete the folder C:\Program Files\CoPilot.

I trust that you have checked that your disk is not marked in any way, and that it is spottlessly clean.

Have you also checked that the SD card is not faulty - can you read/write to it in the card reader?

PS I have sent a Private message with my e-mail details so that screen prints etc. can be sent if required.
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried to install again but this time with the option to copy maps to pc and is the same as initial problem

error 1305. Error reading file from F:/program files/copilot/pocketpc5/eu/data/zipbbs.dat. Verify file exists and that you can access it

looks like a corrupt file, i can see a few light scratches on disc however.

How can i get this zipbbs.dat file, and can you confirm that it is 1,773 kb in size
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a faulty disk - can you get your supplier to change it?

But it might be an idea to try to install it on another PC first - some drives are just more particular than others!
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyman69 wrote:
I have just tried to install again but this time with the option to copy maps to pc and is the same as initial problem

error 1305. Error reading file from F:/program files/copilot/pocketpc5/eu/data/zipbbs.dat. Verify file exists and that you can access it

looks like a corrupt file, i can see a few light scratches on disc however.

How can i get this zipbbs.dat file, and can you confirm that it is 1,773 kb in size

I have the same file zipbbs.dat, 1,773kb, in the same location. I had no problem installing that I recall.

"Access denied" problems usually involve a target file or directory that is marked ReadOnly, or mistakenly trying to write to the CD drive. I think that is far more likely than a defective CD or hard drive. Make sure that zipbbs.dat itself is not ReadOnly (even though it appears to be the source of the transfer).

Good luck.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that all traces of the previous installation(s) are removed, and that the software is simply being loaded only to the PC (PPC not even connected) as per previous instructions, it should be a standard installation from the manufacturers CD's. So I would have thought it unlikely that a file is being incorrectly marked as read only.

If the error message means what it says, and we all know that error messages can sometimes be misleading; the installation is saying that it can't read the file from the CD (I assume that Drive F is the drive the CD is in).

I assume that we are talking about the inability to read a file on the CD, rather than anything to do with the actual installation, since all the installed/installing files should refer to drive C.

Another thing to try, would be to see if you can browse to the zipbbs.dat file on the CD and drag it to the desktop. If you can, I'm afraid that it may not prove anything, but if you can't it is definately pointing to a damaged CD or a fussy drive.

If you have two CD/DVD drives, try installing from the other drive - occasionally the drive used matters.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other options. Maybe if, as Neil says, you can drag the zipbbs.dat file to the desktop you may be able to copy all the files to your hard drive and install from there (I've not tried this). Another option is if you have a CD writer, to make a copy of the CD and try installing from the new disk (as it has been burnt on the CD it should be able to read it ok).

Dave
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: can't install zipbbs.dat Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

If the error message means what it says, .... the installation is saying that it can't read the file from the CD (I assume that Drive F is the drive the CD is in).

I assume that we are talking about the inability to read a file on the CD, rather than anything to do with the actual installation, since all the installed/installing files should refer to drive C.

Oh, right you are, Drive F: in this case is the source CD drive.

I think the problem may be due to a local security policy setting, which used to confound me often at any SW installation. In many systems by default the installation program does NOT have read access to the CD unless you explicitly grant it (though this seems incredible to me).

In my Win2000 I go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Local Security Policy, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options, and set "Restrict CD ROM access to locally logged on user only" to Disabled.

Prior to that most of my installations failed. Afterwards they all succeeded.

However I am baffled at how 99% of the install seems to work in this case and the error is only announced for this one file. But it's possible that zipbbs.dat is the first file installed from the EU datadisk.

A crude workaround to get the same result would be to copy the installation CD onto the hard drive and to run the installation from there, but this should not be necessary.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: