Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA Vs Stand alone Tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA Vs Stand alone Tomtom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: PDA Vs Stand alone Tomtom Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been a regular on here for a few weeks now & what with Tomtom bringing out there new range I have found myself wanting a Pda with the new Tomtom software & then reading more about soft starts,losing data etc Confused So I have been thinking about maybe going for the stand alone Tomtom 500 or 700.
I would like to know what you guys think in terms of why you went for what youve got.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mightymart,

When I bought my first system (iPAQ 3970, TTNav 2, wired GPS receiver, 128 MB SD card), there were no PNDs available so my choice was easy.

If I were to buy my first today, then I would probably seriously look at the TomTom Go 500, which should be released soon. It has a good spec.

It depends on how “geeky” you are. If you may use a PDA for other things as well as SatNav then that is a good route. With my set-up I can change the GPS receiver (currently a GlobalSat BT 338), the software, etc.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what your saying about the being "geeky" because I do love a gadget Laughing but a friend of mine put a doubt in my mind when I spoke about getting a Pda because she said if you get something like Sat nav then you want something that is dedicated to sat nav hence less problems.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing to ask is whether or not you will use a pda for anything else the main advantage is if you get ( for examlpe) tomtom and dont like the software then for around 100 pounds or so you can change the navigaiton software to say copilot or aa etc all the ppc software will get you to your destination some may take a differnt route than others some may take a longer route than you would have taken the same can be said for pna's such as the go or navmans icn the pdas can be a little harder to set up as youve probbably seen from the forums dont forget to look at the mobile phone options as well

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God Alix what have you done Laughing Laughing Laughing
I see a bloke on the train today who had a T-mobile Pda thingy ,I asked a few questions about it but I didn't really get what he was talking about, But because I am on orange I have started to look at the SPV M5000 which I gather is a Pda with phone ,video, camera & Mp3 player etc etc ??? maybe this is the answer, all gadgets in one !!!.
I think a little more homework is needed before the TTN 5 comes out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: