Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does Tom Tom Navigator 2004 work with v2.07 driver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Tom Tom Navigator 2004 work with v2.07 driver?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Does Tom Tom Navigator 2004 work with v2.07 driver? Reply with quote

I read on this forum that the latest drivers from TOM TOM v3.x some how it highjacks the port and applications like Pocket Streets and trips will not work so installed v2.07. Here's the story...

Well, I removed TOM TOM GPS from my PPC and installed the v2.07 drivers from your site. Now Pockets Streets and trip 2005 works great but TOM TOM no longer works. In the GPS menu I setup configure the GPS but it's states "NO DEVICE FOUND". On my PPC (Pocket PC) I then selected the GPS application under PROGRAMS and the GPS is working fine and I can see the GPS receive data. But in TOM TOM Navigator I have to reconfigure the GPS but it will not pick up the satellites or for that matter even recognize the GPS.

With the newer driver v3.x TOM TOM worked fine but Pocket Streets and Trips did not work. So, how do you get Tom Tom navigator to work with the old drivers v2.07?

Thank you in advance
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our article also describes the process for TomTom Navigator 2004. You have to use the GPS driver that comes with TTN 2004, you cannot use the 2.07 GPS engine (but you can use the old control applet)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. However, now I am really confused, someone suggest to use the v2.07 drivers so that you can use other GPS software as opposed to just TOMTOM. So what you saying, I am out of luck and can only use TOMTOM?

At any rate, this article you mention in your post. Where might it be located so I can follow the directions?

Thanks again.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-navigator-bt-dummy-guide.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Are the lastest drivers located somewhere on the web? Or do I have no choice but resorting to my TomTom CD set?
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I followed your instructions below, well sort of but it made matters worse.

No matter what I do, I could not uninstall GPS v2.07 from my PDA. From the desktop I completely uninstalled TomTom and the GPS continues to appear in the Programs Menu. When I install TOMTOM Navigator 2004 again, you would think that GPS driver v3.07 would appear, but it constantly displays v2.07 and will not upgrade.

So I thought, I will try to download v2.06 as it clearly states that should be the driver used.

Well that worked, I now have GPS driver v2.06 but TOM TOM Navigator 2004 consistently displays, “NO GPS Device” no matter what I select. When I select the GPS v2.06 application I can see the dots going back and forth which assume is communication but will not work with TOM TOM. How do I get it back to the latest that is on the CD? I must say, this is very frustrating.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are nearly there.

After successful installation of 2.06 you need to extract the ttgpseng.exe from the TTN4 GPS CAB file and replace the 2.06 one in the \windows directory. Old file is 84 KB, new file is 86 kb

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract it from the CAB file?

I put the Navigator 2004 CD in and found the gps.zip file. I unzipped it but don't see this file. In other words, I don't know how to extract this file. Please advise. And thank you for assisting me.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you actually have extracted the contents of the CAB file - it's showing a ZIP symbol, but the extension is CAB.

One of the files will ahve a size of 86 KB, and be called something like ttgpseng.001 . that's the one - rename it to ttgpseng.exe and copy it to the \windows directory on your PDA (overwriting the existing one)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I tried it and my old file was 86.5K and the new one is 88.0K and copied it over like you said.

I did a hard reboot on my PocketPC and then tried to access the application.

I cannot select teh checkbox for NMEA0183v2 Bluetooth and Bluetooth Serial Port COM 6. Now matter what I do I am unable to select it. Now when I switch to Bluetooth Serial Port COM 8 I can select it, but of course that won't connect to the GPS. One important fact. Now I have TWO Bluetooth Serial Port COM6 entries in that pull down. Both don't work (can't select them by putting a check mark)

Just to kicks I also started Pocket Streets and Trips and that seems to still work. But TOM TOM Navigator 2004 does not work anymore.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean soft reset, right? please do not do hard resets unless absolutely necessary.

If you are unable to select the checkbox this means another program is occupying the port.

from what you write I take it you are not regularly doing soft resets? In that case you will need to use a task manager to make sure no other program is running when you start TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft resets is correct. Ok, removed everything and started from the top.

One important point, now matter what I did when I stuck that Navigator 2004 CD and tried to re-install the GPS driver app....NO GO. It would not show up in the Programs menu. I don't know why. I re-installed that v2.06 one again and then it did a soft reset automatically copied the file over as you told me to, and got back to a single COM 6. MS Pocket PC works but TOM TOM does not.

I also got a response back from TOM TOM and it appears what you are posting as a "fix" will not work for my version. If you read it, they speak about my PocketPC version is running a Palm version of the driver. You need to correct your web site because people like me that read the site hoping and wishing will be in the same boat as me.

Here is why.

Dear Sir,

If you are trying to install Navigator 2004 on your Pocket PC it may be best to perform a Hard Reset to ensure all of the files previously installed have been completely removed. Could you confirm which version of Navigator you are trying to reinstall? You can determine this by the coloring of the CDs. Due to the technology upgrade of Navigator 2004 Pocket PC users are now running on a Palm platform. The Palm platform automatically configures the Bluetooth ports within the software. The GPS Drivers which this website has suggested are strictly for a Pocket PC platform and is not compatible with Navigator 2004.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
Customer 05/04/2005 03:57 AM
I have TomTom Navigator 2004 with Bluetooth GPS (BT-138). It worked great and had no issues. I then noticed the Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trips was not working and did some research. According to various websites your latest driver hi-jacks the port allowing no other applications access to it. Old drivers GPS v2.06 worked fine but new ones only work with TOMTOM. Which is a pity, really.

Well there suggestion did not work so I wanted to resort back to the original TOM TOM Navigator driver installed on the CD. I uninstalled everything and re-installed and noticed the GPS 2.06 driver is still on my Ipaq and could not upgrade the latest. When I start the GPS 2.06 application it connections to the Bluetooth adapter fine. But when I start TOM TOM I keep getting “No valid GPS signal”. I tried BT COM 6 (which worked before) and COM 8 and nothing. But Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trip works fine just not TOM TOM. How can I get TOM TOM to use the proper driver again? Please advise.

Thank you.

Paul J
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when I say TOM TOM is not working, when I configure the GPS, no matter what I pick as a COM port I get "No GPS device". COM6 use to work but still in the same boat as I was before.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your first post you state that you use a Pocket PC , not a Palm. So the TomTom Support's statement is clearly wrong.

I have been able to run both TomTom Navigator 3.07 and TomTom Navigator 2004 on the same machine (various machines I may add), as well as dozens of other GPS programs. No idea why it refuses to work on your Pocket PC, but for me clearly the instructions have worked (otherwise I would not have written them).

You can do an experiment - backup your Pocket PC, do a hard reset, and then install just TomTom Navigator 2004, nothing else. If you can get that to run, add Pocket Streets and see if that runs. If not then follow the instructions again

Then continue with the other programs one by one.

NB: removing the programs from the menu does not always remove all traces. You may have some old files still lingering around, preventing the setup from working.

Also, as mentioned I would highly recommend you get a task manager to control the programs that run in memory. In standard Windows Mobile, when you click the cross the program merely goes to the background, but does not cloes until memory gets low.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ptjulie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got another response back from Tom Tom and they are positive that it can't be done. But I decided to pursue your advice rather than theirs.

What I did is uninstalled TOM TOM again and when that was done went into each program folder and erased any TOMTOM entry. There were left over folders even after the uninstall. After that was done, I re-installed TOM TOM Navigator again.
The GPS application did not appear again. But I didn't not give up hope.

I executed the v2.06ARM CAB file from the PPC and then asked me:

Do you want to replace the ttnpgn.exe (file you mentioned last time) with a new one dated...
I hit the NO button (because you told me that I would need to copy the latest one over again later).

Ok, my results.

TOM TOM is working again on Bluetooth COM 6

However, Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trips 2005 is not working. COM6 is not listed under the available ports. So I am back to square one again.

But the good news, I can easy get TOM TOM to work again.

I think my case differs than your as I did not follow the instruction from the beginning and already tried to uninstall the GPS application driver before the steps were messed up. (if that makes sense)

Any advise going forward?

Should I uninstall the GPS application which is now v2.06? Please advise.

Thanks again for your help

Where abouts in Texas are you located? I live in the North Dallas area and they reason I am asking because I have never seen a Texan use N.B before. I am originally from Canada and when I started my job down here and used N.B they had no idea what that meant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: