Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 12 Channel Parallel?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

12 Channel Parallel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thequinox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: 12 Channel Parallel? Reply with quote

I am looking at some bluetooth GPS receivers and I really don't know anything about GPS. Anyways I was looking around and I noticed that many people said your want a "12 Channel Parallel" capable receiver. The two I am looking at don't say the word parallel. One says "12 Channel “All-in-View” tracking (WAAS/EGNOS)" and the other says "8 Channels all in view tracking". Are any of these parallel? Do I even need parallel? I plan on using this in my car with my laptop. I want it for screwing around and maybe some wardriving. I live in a small town in Alberta. I'm giving you all this information because I have no clue what you guys need. I appologise for any confusion my lack of knowledge may have caused you. Anyways, here are the links to the GPS units I was looking at:
- http://tinyurl.com/a4r52
- http://tinyurl.com/ajdjj

Thank you for any help you can provide.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To determine your position horizontally you need to get signals from three satellites (this is called a 2D fix). If you want altitude too you need at least four sats (3D fix). anything on top of four channels is only adding buffer - in case of poor reception, satellite misalignment etc.

The SBAS sats (WAAS for you) need another channel for the differential fixes.

12 channels is pretty much standard - it's also the practical limit of how many sats you can see at any given time unless you are in space. 8 channels is a bit on the cheap side, but sufficient for Alberta - no skyscrapers there as far as I remember. (And no, Calgary doesn't count)

The more advanced receivers have 16 or even 20 channels to utilize bounced and multipath signals.

Eventually it's up to you - I personally would go for a newer chipset like the SiRF III - this one comes with 20 channels

Regarding the "parallel" blabla - they all work on pretty much the same principle, and most of them aren't even truly parallel - the initial sat locking still occurs serially, one after the other. (Again, SiRF III is truly parallel)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: