Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom G0 700 maps.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom G0 700 maps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: TomTom G0 700 maps. Reply with quote

Hi peeps,

i travel a lot in this country and in the Republic of Ireland, and i was going to purchase a TomTom Go 700 series when they came out.

Basically i want a unit that has good mapping of not only this country (UK), but also of the Republic of Ireland.

I emailed tomtom to see what coverage of Ireland the 700 has and this is what they said:

''The Irish map data will not be complete as our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas does not have complete DIGITAL map data for this country. The existing map data in the TTGO 700 for Ireland will include Galway, Cork, and Dublin and the major roads but this is all of the data that is available at this time which is why a detailed DIGITAL map of this country is not yet available.''

I find this unbelievable!, how is it they can totally map U.K., France, Belguim etc, down to street level, and they can't provide detailed maps of a small country like Ireland?

I think i'll plump for a Navman ICN 510 if thats the case, at least they have more coverage of the ROI than TomTom.

What do you guys think of this?, £550 for TomTom's flagship model and it doe'nt have decent maps! I suppose it's a way of getting more money out of customers asking them to pay for updated maps every few months or so!! Rolling Eyes
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing to do with TomTom. This is down to Teleatlas. For some obscure reason with both Teleatlas and Navteq the mapping of ireland has been very slow. This is now starting to improve, but is a massive job.

I am interested in your idea that by changing to the NavMan 510 you will get better coverage of Ireland. Guess who they use as a data provider? Yep it is Teleatlas! So there will be little or no difference depending on which map release is used to produce the software.

http://www.na.teleatlas.com/newsevents/releases/navman010804.html

If you really want the best coverage of Ireland then you need to go for a Navteq provider. That really leaves the option of Co-Pilot, Alturion, or Destinator, none of which is provided in a dedicated unit at the moment. This will still be far from complete.
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have been informed by 'Icsys' on the Navman ICN 510 forum, stating the following:

''TeleAtlas Ireland coverage (Navman Smart STv3) down to street level with all the M and N roads in-between:

Athlone, Ballincolling, Bray, Carlow, Cork, Drogheda, Dublin, Dundalk, Dun Laoghaire, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenney, Limerick, Navan, Sallybrook, Sligo, Swords, Tralee, Waterford, Wexford''

Thats a hell of a lot more places than the latest maps on the new Go 700.

If what you say about the Go and the Icn 510 having the same map suppliers how can one unit have a certain amount of map detail for Ireland, and another have a lot more?

TomTom are marketing these new Go units with slogans like this:

Door-to-door planning in Europe: connected maps of any detailed address in whole Europe on a hard disc drive

:x Yeah right!, the whole of europe, as long as your not travelling to the Republic of Ireland! :x
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I can say is that they are using the same data.

This means that either TomTom are not publicising all the areas, or Navman are stating too many, I suspect the former.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the map coverage pictures in the TomTom Maps and Coverage GB is coloured red and Ireland is still white....
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
Athlone, Ballincolling, Bray, Carlow, Cork, Drogheda, Dublin, Dundalk, Dun Laoghaire, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenney, Limerick, Navan, Sallybrook, Sligo, Swords, Tralee, Waterford, Wexford''

Thats a hell of a lot more places than the latest maps on the new Go 700.

I have just done a spot check on most of those named towns in Ireland and they are all in the maps that will be included with the TomTom 700. To street level.
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just e-mailed TomTom again to clarify the situation, again i got back the same message, ''...we only have coverage of Dublin, Cork and Galway down to street level.''

I am very confused, surely TomTom would check to see what coverage the Republic of Ireland has, before fobbing me off with the statement above?

I find it hard to believe, they want people to fork out around £550 of their hard earned cash on the TTG 700 and it does'nt have proper mapping.

I have contacted TeleAtlas about this matter, and i'll post their remarks on here when i get them.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier, despite the "prepared" answer you are getting from TomTom support all those other towns are in the new map data that I am looking at.
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike ! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: