Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Software for biking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Software for biking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adizukerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: GPS Software for biking Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a GPS software for my pocket PC and, to be honest, I can't decide which to get. Any advice would be appreciated. I plan on biking from NYC to Florida over four weeks. I have paper maps from Adventure Cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/atlanticcoast.cfm) which I'm using, but I would like to use a GPS on my Pocket PC in addition.

I would to be able to:
- use the waypoints provided by adventure cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/gps.cfm) - they have comma delimited and GPX, XML text
- add my own POI, especially Amtrak stations and hostels suggested by Adventure Cycling
- enter the route I want to take beforehand so it won't "optimize" me onto an interstate
- record routes so I return to local bike routes I like (I want to use the software after my trip too)
- be able to answer questions like "How far to the next motel or campground " so I can make a determination when to stop
- notify me when I've missed my turn
- work with a Bluetooth GPS (I have TeleType)
- measure my speed and distance traveled

Any suggestions? Has any one used a Pocket PC with bicycling before?

Thanks again for any help,

- Adi
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal solution for your wishlist is Mapopolis. I have used it on numerous street biking trips and it proved to be the best in comparison to a large number of other programs. I can go into more details if you like.

As a BT receiver I would strongly recommend to get something more professional, for example a DeLorme BlueLogger. It will be able to record your whole journey even without the Pocket PC connected or even switched on.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
adizukerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you could go in more detail about Mapopolis I would really appreciate it. I was looking at CoPilot 5. Do you know how they compare?

As for the GPS, I got the TeleType based on battery life. It was rated at around 8 hours which seemed about good enough for a days ride.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot 5 is an excellent route planning tool, but more targeted at cars and trucks. Think delivery service with two dozen addresses they need to drive to each day.

Mapopolis has three distinct features
- combined map and navigation screen. It is very easy to browse the map and identify shortcuts, obstacles etc for your route
- "route through" functionality which allows you to easily and visually tweak your route to include or exclude certain areas
- a good general GPS screen with bearing, heading, and distance to destination (as the crow flies)
- a nice GPS trail to show you how far you got on your route
- map download on the go. Forgot a county map? Not a problem. All you need is a internet connection (for example via GPRS)
- Mapopolis is much faster than any other program, and also runs good on older Pocket PCs

Those were the three main differentiators. there are a few more, but that would start to get boring and mathematically incorrect. 8O

There's also a con: Mapopolis is not at all finger friendly. You need a pen or a sharp finger nail to operate it while driving.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: