Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Betatester wanted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Betatester wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Betatester wanted Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for somebody (4) with a Pocket PC with SH3 processor and TomTom Navigator 3 to test my add-on for postcodes on those devices.
Hopefully program will run, I'm worried mainly about the installation procedure.

You should be able to do small file maintenance in your Pocket PC through ActiveSynch.

In return you are granted to one license of the program.

If you are interested please send me an email detailling your machine maker, model and processor.

You will find my email address in the link below my firm.

Thx.

Jose Adell
www.geopostcode.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jose,

If I remember correctly from a previous thread you have bought a license to use Code-Point from the Ordnance Survey to produce your software. Please can you confirm that to be the case otherwise we may have to remove these posts at the request of the Ordnance Survey's Legal department who are currently reviewing our site.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MikeB
MikeB wrote:
Hello Jose,

If I remember correctly from a previous thread you have bought a license to use Code-Point from the Ordnance Survey to produce your software. Please can you confirm that to be the case otherwise we may have to remove these posts at the request of the Ordnance Survey's Legal department who are currently reviewing our site.

I said before and will repeat now: I'm on the legal process to get one. The person from O.S. in charge for new accounts came to my place, sent me contracts, I signed them and back to them and just waiting to get my number. Unfortunately is a long process between 4 to 6 weeks, and in my case Easter came in midle. So at the moment I have nothing to hide or to fear from O.S.

But let me do a question: I wonder why you make this point to me, when this forum is plenty of other threads referring to ukpostcode program which has been put down by O.S. and still on the forum. Not to mention other softwares or POIs announcements some olds some very actuals.

I mean, that threads still stay on the forum. And they refer to softwares without license or signed contracts at least. Should be no better to start there?

Hope is nothing personal here and just trying to get the things factual for everybody.

Regards,

Jose Adell
www.geopostcode.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:
Hope is nothing personal here and just trying to get the things factual for everybody.

As Mike has clearly stated, "Please can you confirm that to be the case otherwise we may have to remove these posts at the request of the Ordnance Survey's Legal department who are currently reviewing our site.".

Jose, this isn't something personal, just that OS legal are requesting posts of this nature to be removed due to copyright infringement (yet any posts refer to files that don't exist on our site), so Mike asked Very Nicely in his post above, that he wanted to clarify your position on this subject.

He obviously didn't want to remove the topic completely if this was a legitimate licensed set of OS data that is being talked about here.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I never try to be rude, my apologies if it sounds like. Blame it on my poor English translated and constructed mentally from Spanish.

With your permission let me do a little of history:

When I first published here as first place, you know I thought and think this is a very good forum, about my just born program I got just a couple persons trying to test it and a lot of legal suggestions and some thing that sounded to me like rude:

Quote:
...but couldn't really see what this was offering over the existing Niels Thomsen postcode finder program...

Didn't really want to waste time installing something without knowing whether it's worth the time spent evaluating it.

So I did a little homework, looking back in the forum, to where Niels' program was announced, and... really was not the same.

So following the legal suggestions I started to do my legal jobs with a happy end, as announced in UKPC2TTN forum. And will be happier still hopefully when got my number and rights to use O.S. logos.

Equally I carried on working on my program and database, making it more consistent, bugs free (hope is the last thing to be lost) and getting customers, feedbacks and suggestions about coding.

It was a long time before I come back to write here again. You know I had a strange feeling. My last post was 10/02/05 and I came back to write here in 16/03/05 just to announce about my deal with O.S.
Just 3 days later:

Quote:
Isn't the subject irrelevant now that TT, in V5, is bringing out full Postcode searching?

And 9 days later the same person in other thread:
Quote:
Will (won't) these add-on's be redundant with the new TT V5?

Both in threads with 2 or more pages. Only that "small" detail speaks by itself. It's not so irrelevant for so many people. But I don't have any doubt about this: if in some new thread it comes up about postcodes finder programs this person will write the same again as soon I will post there.

Sorry if I sound like paranoic by my personal history in this forum with my program doesn't seem to me very happy, is it?

If all this was the same every where I could think my path was wrong. But fortunely the growing number of customers I got and their words are very different.

You can say Mike's post was the last drop before I flooded.

Again, my apologies for my English and being so long to explain in your language my feelings.

Regards,

Jose Adell
www.geopostcode.com
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose,

We have no problem with LEGAL programs that use the OS code. There have been talk about Neils program in the past and we haven't endorsed this or promoted this in anyway because we knew the data wasn't legal, and we never hosted this on our site because of this.

We just want to make sure that the various LEGAL documents are in place before you continue, because believe it or not Ordnance Survey can be very forcefull in this area when licenses aren't fully signed and agreed by both sides of the party and are very quick to start issuing legal threats to take down code and links.

TomTom users have in the past used Neils program from what I understand from various posts, and some were aware and some weren't aware of the legality of this.

Some of the responses you received that you quoted about from existing TomTom users feelings on the subject is correct. In the latest TomTom 5 platform which will start shipping in April/May, these will all have 7 digit UK postcodes so any third party application that adds this will probably be redundant to the fact that the data will already be in the application (TomTom).

There will be an SDK out at some point for the new TomTom 5 platform, and this will allow developers to plug in to the new platform, but we don't have any information on when this will be available. If 90% of TomTom 3 customers upgrade to TomTom 5, then there probably won't be much of a business model for you I would suspect ? But, it really depends on how many people upgrade, and what price you will be looking to sell your legalised UKPOSTCODE program for ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: