Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which road navigation software for Mio 168?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which road navigation software for Mio 168?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Which road navigation software for Mio 168? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am considering buying a Mio 168, and am not sure which software package is most suitable for the UK.

Tomtom 3, CoPilot4 or Smart SVT3 seem all pretty good from what I have read in this forum, and I think all can be gor as a package with different "models" of the Mio.

Any advice on how to decide would be most welcome

I also already have Memory-Map OS 2004 which I would want to use for walking. Would there be any problems using that and any of the above on the same PocketPC?
Leigh
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone already using any of those software packages are likely to be biased towards what they use.
I use SmartSTv3 so you could say I am biased towards that.

What you should consider is that CoPilot has 'better quality' Navteq mapping, TomTom and SmartST both use TeleAtlas.
However SmartSTv3 has more up to date maps than TomTom Navigator 3 (M6 toll for instance).
There are many more pros and cons for each software package.
These are the facts that you need to consider when making your final descision. There are reviews of each that you can read here although there is no review yet for v3 of smartST. If you want to know more just ask.

Whatever you choose i'm sure you wont be too disappointed.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello LeighB

You may also want to consider Navigon software, i use this on a Medion 95000 which is a re-branded Mio 168 and it works very well.

Again the maps are not bad and do also include the M6 toll road.

Have a look at the review:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navigon-mobile-navigator-4.php

There is also a web site for the Medion 95000 using Navigon 4.2

http://www.sim98.freeserve.co.uk/AMN/index.htm
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies, it seems there is no obvious front runner, I suppose it comes down to seeing if I can find outlets where the software is running and try them out and choose one.
I did have a look at SmartST v3 today at PCWorld and while it seemed pretty easy to use, it has some problems in finding street addresses. It couldn't find either my old address or the salesman's current address (to his confusion!)
In my old road house numbers run up to 80 odd. but the only ones offered were 6, 7-17, and 8 with no higher numbers at all. In his address in a totally different area, all the even numbers were displayed to select but none of the odd numbers.
Is this a peculiarity of the TeleAtlas data?
Of the 3 I was thinking of only Copilot does not use TeleAtlas.
perhaps I should go for that.
Thanks again
Leigh
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
new to gps and looking at the same options, i originally was going for copilot, but reading the review tomtom in jersey it seems that tomtom is more user freindly in getting you from a to b, is this the case.
the other element that would help me is which are the better maps for Germany.

many thanks any help would be apprecited as there are too many options to make choice easy
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating,
After all the tinking I have decided on the TT3 package, mainly 'cos neither of the others is currently available at a reasonable price!!
Choices are often like that Confused
This forum is great and I have found it hugely helpful
Leigh
Tigra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Were you pleased Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm reading through post on Mio 168 considering, as you were in January, which software to buy. Were you glad you chose TT3? I've read it's a bit tricky to install. This and the cheaper price has led me to consider Mio Map (Destinator 3) as it comes already installed and has no compatibility problems.
Can you advise?
Thanks
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tigra,
I have been using TTN3 for some weeks now and am generally very pleased with it. It does really need the ukpostcode program in addition so that you can search on full UK Postcodes. However I am not sure if that can still be obtained. Check though the forum for info about this.
I also use Checkpoint which allows for POI data, especially the pocketgps speed camera data, to be used.
Main problems I have found.
Maude (as we call her!!) occasionally picks some rather strange routes. It is important to review the route carefully to make certain that it makes sense.
It is fairly easy to use the Itinerary function to force a particular route to be used. make sure you put them on the correct side of the road though, need to go to max resolution to make sure of this, else you may get sent round a strange loop to get you to the other side of a dual carriageway!
She does get confused sometimes if you don't follow her suggested route and may take a little while before she stops trying to send you back to the last intermediate "Drive By"
Sound levels are generally OK for Maude's instructions, but the speed camera warings are rather quiet.
Check the info in the forum on Tom Tom 5 announced at Cebit. This sounds as if it may be worth waiting for.
Hope this is helpful

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
antibt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: which map? Reply with quote

Hi, I got Mitec mio168 with copilot5 but I dont like that male voice. Is there anyway I can change that to a female voice as it in Medion which seems to be much clearer?
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: which map? Reply with quote

antibt wrote:
Hi, I got Mitec mio168 with copilot5 but I dont like that male voice. Is there anyway I can change that to a female voice as it in Medion which seems to be much clearer?

http://www.alk.eu.com/support/copilotlive_pocketpc5/faqs.asp#
Look under speech towards the bottom.
antibt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot daps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: