Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adriana1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi can anyone help??, I have just brought a ipaq 4700, and want to use it with GPS system- I have looked at a few systems and it seems that Tom Tom is the one to go for.
I need help with the GPS unit I want to use either blue tooth or CF- does any one have any experience of either system- and can point me in the right direction?? i also want to use speed camera locating on my GPS
Thanks
Adrian
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really up to you both do the same job, are you wanting to use the GPS while walking about? (if so then the CF would prob be more mobile than holding the BT GPS). If you are going to use more in car the BT GPS would be better to place in better position to get a satellite fix.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But remember that even though the BT unit is 'wireless' in terms of data, it still needs to be powered. So unless you are willing to place and remove your GPS receiver to be recharged you are going to have to run a cable to it anyway.

Of course CF is all integrated so you only need one power cable, that to your pocket PC. But CF has the disadvantage that it can only receive signals from where your pocket pc is mounted, which might not be ideal, plus I found having that thing sticking out of the top reduced my visibility of the road a little.

I think the ideal solution would be a BT GPS unit which is permanenty wired to the cars power, but this isn't always easy to achieve.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,

The Hx4700 is good PPC. I have no experience of CF GPS receivers but I do use Bluetooth ones. I use the Fortuna Clip-On and think that it’s an excellent unit. There is the GlobalSat BT-338 (a Bluetooth GPS receiver) that’s been recently announced and will shortly be available, the BT-338 has a very good specification.

TomTom Navigator 3 is a good SatNav package, although the map data is a little old now. CeBIT is only a few days away, so you may want to keep an eye out on the forum for announcements, as CeBIT is the traditional show where TomTom announces new products.

If you get TomTom Navigator 3 then CheckPOInt 2.0.2 is the best free POI detector.

Finally have a look at the guide to the PGPSW camera database. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
chrisnel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian

I am very happy with the setup I acquired early in the new year. I too have an iPAQ 4700 and opted for an Emtac BT GPS receiver. I run TomTom Navigator 3 with the Checkpoint software for speed cameras and also Tom Tom Traffic.

You do need to remember to keep the BT GPS charged up but I have so many other BT bits and pieces, including a BT headset for my mobile phone, that it has become a habit now to charge them up every other day.

I do have a powered Arkon mount in the car which charges the PDA and can be used to provide power to the BT GPS also - but I've not had to use it for this yet as so far I have managed to remember to keep all devices fully charged.

I went for BT as I don't like wires trailing all over the place and wanted something that I didn't need to spend 5 minutes setting up and dismantling at the beginning and end of each journey. I am also hoping to find some way of mounting the PDA and GPS on my bike for summer cycling holidays.

Have fun.
adriana1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who bothered to reply, this is the first forum i have used and found the help very encouraging, no doubt I will buy a BT GPS reciever and software soon, i will keep you all informed of how i get on

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: