Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor instructions and timing in TT3 at speed or on M-ways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor instructions and timing in TT3 at speed or on M-ways
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stussy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Poor instructions and timing in TT3 at speed or on M-ways Reply with quote

Hi

I've just taken my gps bits out on the motorway for the first time, and I have to say I was really disappointed. Prior to this I've only used it on local roads and have been very impressed. 2 main problems that I found:

Lag on giving instructions. Coming off the M4 onto the M25 - delays in the instructions meant that it told me to keep left AFTER the left-filter-off lane had disappeared. Ooops.

The worst issue (may mean something to anyone in Surrey!) was coming off the M25 onto the M3. I had a destination set for Bagshot in Surrey. TT3 told me to take the exit for the M3 (albeit very late) which was correct. This lane then splits in two - left to go back into London and right to head towards my destination. TT told me to stay LEFT, which would have put me on a long stretch of motorway heading into chiswick. Luckily I knew where I was going, ignored it and stayed right. Is this common? A complete misdirection?

Has anyone else exprerienced wrong directions, and is there anything I can do to cure the lag of instructions? NB Like I said, it seems fine at local roads level, very accurate.

Cheers

Mike
Madkitty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it all the time - on monday i was taken 30 miles out of my way because of this and would love to know if there is a way around it. Is it anything to do with the speed settings?

TomTom Navigator 3
HP Ipaq 1940
512mb SD card
Checkpoint
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Poor instructions and timing in TT3 at speed or on M-way Reply with quote

stussy wrote:
The worst issue (may mean something to anyone in Surrey!) was coming off the M25 onto the M3. I had a destination set for Bagshot in Surrey. TT3 told me to take the exit for the M3 (albeit very late) which was correct. This lane then splits in two - left to go back into London and right to head towards my destination. TT told me to stay LEFT, which would have put me on a long stretch of motorway heading into chiswick. Luckily I knew where I was going, ignored it and stayed right. Is this common? A complete misdirection?Mike

Had your route been to go to Chiwick TT would have told you to take the first exit. By telling you to stay left it was advising you to stay in the left hand lane of the two and follow the road round on to the M3. If you had looked at the screen it would have shown your route going around to the right and joining with the M3. I get the same when I'm coming home via the M25 M3. It's just a case of getting used to what TT is trying to tell you.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Madkitty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt always the case though - i have missed a couple of junctions before as it has waited too late to tell me to exit...when you have another junction coming up shortly after it gets very confusing. It is also confusing on the M42 when everything is splitting off and it doesnt make it very clear!

TomTom Navigator 3
HP Ipaq 1940
512mb SD card
Checkpoint
stussy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Poor instructions and timing in TT3 at speed or on M-way Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Had your route been to go to Chiwick TT would have told you to take the first exit. By telling you to stay left it was advising you to stay in the left hand lane of the two and follow the road round on to the M3. If you had looked at the screen it would have shown your route going around to the right and joining with the M3. I get the same when I'm coming home via the M25 M3. It's just a case of getting used to what TT is trying to tell you.

I wish that was so - it showed the 'left and right fork' sign and was showing me going up the left, from as soon as I was on the slip road off the M25, and all the way until past the road split. Grrrr
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you got the GPS Settings set to? If it's using SIRF then it might be slow. Make sure it's using NMEA.
Madkitty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
What have you got the GPS Settings set to? If it's using SIRF then it might be slow. Make sure it's using NMEA.

where is this setting?

TomTom Navigator 3
HP Ipaq 1940
512mb SD card
Checkpoint
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to join the debate late but several things here.

1. Measurement of the junctions is from the end of the slip road, not the start. As anyone on the West Side of the M25 will tell you there are "filter lanes", at which point do you want it to start telling you to get over to the left? As soon as the lane appears or 800 yeards from where the middle of the junction theoretically is/
2. GPS is not an accurate science. In the old days it was 100 yards out.. no it is more likely 50 yards out, but that still will give problems close to multiple junctions.
3. Speed of GPS and device running TTN3 will also cause you some issues.
4. Operator intelligence - It's a tool (now what is the saying about poor workmanship). Techncally it is an offence not to have planned a journey on motorways (this may cause a few reactions, but if you run out of fuel on the motorway, you can be prosecuted, thereore you have not planned your journey - ask any pilot about planning a journey and fuel will always be there).
5. Do not rely on GPS - There are masive amounts of trils taking place about jamming GPS (ask anyone in Wales!)

Sorry, just my pennyworth.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I'd like an edit function on my posts please.. Graciuos th eamount of typos in the last two days Embarassed
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

5. Do not rely on GPS - There are masive amounts of trils taking place about jamming GPS (ask anyone in Wales!)

Really? Cite?

Glenn.
stussy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Simon. The 'end of the slip road' measurement would certainly fit what happened to me this morning.

As for some of the other issues though - why is my GPS accurate when preventing me from turning right one road too early at my home location (there are 2 roads very close together, and I was amazed at the accuracy), yet poor when it comes to telling me about movements where there are thousands / hundreds of metres to spare? Is this a map data issue rather than GPS though?

As for route planning - I bought the GPS hoping to make a big bike holiday to France and Switzerland this summer a little easier. Now I have tested it on my 'home turf' and I'm not confident of it at all. If I'm not sure then I may as well plan a full route on paper, and my receiver may as well be a paperweight. My problem on the M3 this morning relied upon me knowing that my destination was towards Basingstoke and not London - the odds of me knowing similar points in the south of France are pretty low!
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stussy wrote:

As for route planning - I bought the GPS hoping to make a big bike holiday to France and Switzerland this summer a little easier. Now I have tested it on my 'home turf' and I'm not confident of it at all. If I'm not sure then I may as well plan a full route on paper, and my receiver may as well be a paperweight. My problem on the M3 this morning relied upon me knowing that my destination was towards Basingstoke and not London - the odds of me knowing similar points in the south of France are pretty low!

I have used Tomtom in France, Spain and Portugal.. It is better than nothing. Remember you can go into Map mode and revie the directions before setting off.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proctog wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Really? Cite?

Glenn.

http://lists.virus.org/isn-0301/msg00093.html - Gossip
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_SSL25.PDF page three - Civial Aviation Document.

I have seen NOTAM (notice to Airmen, although none are in operation in the London ATC zone), that specifically warn of Jamming taking place.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
proctog wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Really? Cite?

Glenn.

http://lists.virus.org/isn-0301/msg00093.html - Gossip
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_SSL25.PDF page three - Civial Aviation Document.

I have seen NOTAM (notice to Airmen, although none are in operation in the London ATC zone), that specifically warn of Jamming taking place.

Interesting - presumably such things would, like mobile phone jammers, involve transmitting radio signals, and, as such, would be illegal?

Glenn.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proctog wrote:
Interesting - presumably such things would, like mobile phone jammers, involve transmitting radio signals, and, as such, would be illegal?
Glenn.

Glennn, Don't be surprised if this gets more common. They are illegal in the UK, unless operated under a licence such as the ones the UK Radio and Teleocmmunications Agency can issue. As you will see from the CAA document, the Armed Forces can do it when they like. They do kindly inform the Aviation fraternity, but no-one else :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: