Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How can I make a setup file on the 2 Gigabyte microdrive?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I make a setup file on the 2 Gigabyte microdrive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonelywolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: How can I make a setup file on the 2 Gigabyte microdrive? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been using Tomtom 3 for a year. My PDA is HP 2215 bluetooth. I have 2 Gbyte microdrive in the PDA slot. All the maps are installed on this drive.But whenever the battery dies I loose all the information ( including Tomtom 3 ) installed in the PDA. So I want to create a setup file on the microdrive by using the navigation software CD. If something bad happens I want to reload the software using this setup file. I have seen this on other navigation systems. Is it possible to do it with Tomtom 3 ? If so ,how ??? Thanks so much....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need a setup program. If you install the application and the voices to the microdrive then all you need is a (read-only) gps.cab file that you can re-run in the case of a power failure. Of course you can also keep the CAB files for the Navigator and the voice if that's easier for you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lonelywolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You don't really need a setup program. If you install the application and the voices to the microdrive then all you need is a (read-only) gps.cab file that you can re-run in the case of a power failure. Of course you can also keep the CAB files for the Navigator and the voice if that's easier for you.

Thank you very much.. I'll try...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another, arguably better, alternative is to use Sprite Backup to back up your iPAQ to non-volatile storage, such as your Microdrive.

As you have iPAQ Backup built in to your iPAQ, you can upgrade to Sprite Backup for US$10 (plus VAT if you're in Europe). The full version of Sprite Backup solves some restore issues with TomTom Navigator 3 on the iPAQ h2210 that can frustrate restoring a backup using iPAQ Backup.

The advantage of Sprite Backup is that you don't have to re-enter activation codes or rebuild your settings - it brings your Pocket PC back to the state it was in before the hard reset. The only thing you may have to mess with is any ActiveSync partnerships.

If you are going to keep a copy of the CAB files, the crucial thing, as Lutz says, is to mark them read only. If you don't, then Pocket PC will delete the CAB file the first time you run it.

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprite gives you the option of saving as an .EXE file on your storage card. So click on that and everything's restored.... :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: