Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux 230 or 231, which one to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux 230 or 231, which one to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddan101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Holux 230 or 231, which one to buy? Reply with quote

So... I'm down to these two models to choose between. I'm going to mostly use the GPS in the car communicating via bluetooth with an IPAQ 2750. Though I will probably also once in a while use it while walking around e.g. sightseeing etc.

I've read a lot of posts and talked to friends to get their opinions. A couple of questions still remain though:

1. I understand that the 230 is using both WAAS/EGNOS and the 231 does not. Though the 231 has the Xtrac protocol. Which is the winner here? 231 should be more sensitive but 230 has more satelites to choose from.

2. The power save mode on the 231 sounds very nice e.g. you don't have to think about turning the device of when leaving the car. But when I've read through posts it seems to be a lot of trouble with this function?

Is there anything else I should think of?

Any suggeestions and comments are welcome!

/Fred
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 230, it works OK. Battery life is supposed to be better than average.

The accuracy of GPS (without WAAS) is good enough for general purpose navigation, what is lacking is the ability to hold a fix in difficult conditions.

I have not used an xtrac receiver, but I am told that they hold a fix better. Given the choice of WAAS or xtrac, I would choose xtrac.
Freddan101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read some about the 231 and that it turns off after 15 min w/o Bluetooth connection. This is a feature that sounds quite nice, though what happens if it's connected to power in the car? Will it turn on automatically when the car starts and stay on? Or do you have to push the button?

With the 230 I guess you could install the device hidden, connect it to power and have it on all the time.

/Fred
psychoholica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having horrible problems with my 230 and also a 231. Both of them have to constantly be repaired to the pc every time the holux shuts off. a real major pain. both MS and Widcomm 4 bt stacks. find something else..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: