Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps Of Western Europe - Stupid Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps Of Western Europe - Stupid Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Maps Of Western Europe - Stupid Question Reply with quote

OK, sorry for this, maybe it's been asked a 1000 times already...

So, I have the Maps Of Western Europe 9CD's. I regularly travel from Brussels through Germany to Denmark, to France, England etc. That's one of the benefits of living at "The Centre Of Europe" Wink

Now, I have enough space on my SD card to load the maps for these countries but of course TomTom forces you to swap between them or use the Major Roads if you want to go from country to country.

So, the question I guess is twofold:

Is there any way of 'stiching' these maps together into one to save the swapping?

Do TomTom do a "Whole Of Western Europe" single detail map? And if not, why not?

Thanks
Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no map that covers the whole of mainland Europe, nor can you stick the maps together yourself.

I believe there's two reasons for this. I think the main reason is down to licensing; I believe there's limits as to how much area TeleAtlas permit in a single map on products such as TomTom Navigator. A secondary reason that occurs is efficiency - with a large map file, the Navigator software may prove to be very inefficient.

David
dabby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

I think you're right especially on the efficiency - my PDA's not the slowest one around and when I try zooming around on the major roads map there's an appreciable degradation in performance compared to just Benelux for instance.

Shame, would be nice to have...

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For inter-country routing the 'Major Roads of Europe (MRE)' map is the most suitable as this allows cross border routing but is limited to major highways detail only. You would still need to switch to the local country map for the last few miles of your journey though,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: