Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help a cop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help a cop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griswold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: help a cop Reply with quote

I am a police officer in Orlando, Florida. I need a gps software that can do a few important things. Something to help find an address when responding to an emergency call. I plan to use this on my Dell Axim X5. I have not bought a gps receiver but am considering the Hiacom 303MMF.

1. Voice notification upon arrival at the destination and which side of the street. Houses don't always have the number visible. Also need voice notification as to upcoming turns. prefer wav files that can be altered.

2. Being able to input an address without the city, state or zip code. Either by entering the number and or street name.

3. Accurate mapping for the Orlando area. Although it would be helpful for other areas, it would be most important in the area I work.

4. Would like something that has on one screen a view of compass direction, satellite strength, eta, speed, altimeter.

It has been tough trying to compare all the different brands. Most difficult is finding reviews on the most current versions since some of the reviews date back to 2002 and 2003 and hopefully improvements have been made.

I'm sure I might be able to come up with a few other important needs for my job but I am just getting started at understanding what is out there.

Thanks for your help
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think theres anything that accurate out there for house numbers tomtom would seams to be a good choice but mapopolis might be better
all maps have some errors in them and none is perfect also maps are usually updated every 12 months from most companies and are usually 3months outof date because of the time taken to format the map data to the program

hopefully one of the other guys on here will no of somthing that can help

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: help a cop Reply with quote

griswold wrote:

1. Voice notification upon arrival at the destination

That would eliminate ALK CoPilot.

Quote:

and which side of the street.

And this would eliminate pretty much everything else.

Quote:

Also need voice notification as to upcoming turns. prefer wav files that can be altered.

CoPilot, PocketMap Navigator and Ostia have Text-To-Speech and recorded voice files.

Quote:

2. Being able to input an address without the city, state or zip code. Either by entering the number and or street name.

Yeah, wouldn't we all like to have one like that :S

Quote:

3. Accurate mapping for the Orlando area. Although it would be helpful for other areas, it would be most important in the area I work.

Map accuracy seems to vary for certain areas between the different providers of map data.

Quote:

4. Would like something that has on one screen a view of compass direction, satellite strength, eta, speed, altimeter.

TomTom 5, CoPilot and PocketMap Navigator would be your choice.

Quote:

It has been tough trying to compare all the different brands.

Durrrr. No kidding. Confused

Quote:

Most difficult is finding reviews on the most current versions since some of the reviews date back to 2002 and 2003 and hopefully improvements have been made.

That's OK, map data is at least that old as well, ;)

Quote:

I'm sure I might be able to come up with a few other important needs for my job but I am just getting started at understanding what is out there.

The Live part of CoPilot Live would be a useful addition, if Orlando has good GSM/GPRS coverage. Dispatch can track the position of vehicles, text messages can be sent back and forth between dispatch and vehicles, route updates can be exchanged. It would all depend on how accurate the CoPilot Live maps are for your area. CoPilot also seems to have the best interface for entering addresses, but too many map data errors make it useless for my area (East Texas). Your mileage may indeed vary.

Before anyone complains: I haven't tested TomTom yet.
Galaxia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya
I think the Navman PiN 570 would be a good choice heres the things you asked and what it does

1. Voice notification upon arrival at the destination and which side of the street. Houses don't always have the number visible. Also need voice notification as to upcoming turns. prefer wav files that can be altered.

- There is a voice that tells you when you have arrived and all the directions on the way there also if theres heavy traffic it will find you the quickest way there as for street side it CAN tell you the side but sadly not the exact house number but theres a flag for the area

- Yes you can do all this it will fill in the blanks on its own if it has to I just put the number and street name in and it finds it no problem.

- Can't see how this would be a problem Navman has many built in maps aswell the the option to "Unlock" or Buy new maps from there website and transfer them across to the PDA so easy for ya to do so also very fast

- Yet again this is a all yes Navman PiN 570 has a onscreen Compass in the cornor of the Map screen it tells you the speed you are going and also when you reduce speed updates within seconds. It tells you the time till you get there(ETA) the length of travel left(How long road is) the amount os satellites you are connected to and how strong your signal is
this is show by a point counter theres a ball type shape in middle and its shows

Red - Low or No Fix
Yellow - Decent Fix will work
Green - 100% working perfect no delay or problems

Also it shows the amount if signal speed by a meter with coloured spaces that change yellow and green as they go up.

Hope this helps you

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: