Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq rz1710 with SDIO GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq rz1710 with SDIO GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: iPaq rz1710 with SDIO GPS Reply with quote

I don't think I like what I am reading here.

I have an iPaq rz1710. My primary reason for a PDA is as an Outlook mirror, which the 1710 does well. But I do find the idea of being able to buy and use a GPS receiver during my forthcoming trip to Europe very appealing. But I'm very reluctant to spend money upgrading the iPaq.

I'd prefer to buy a SDIO GPS as I believe it will be more forwardly compatible. (in other words if, in a year or two, I get a bigger/better PDA with a SD slot I'll be able to continue using the GPS receiver)

I am wondering if the 1710 will support any mapping software at the same time as an SDIO GPS receiver. Given that the 1710 only has 32Mb RAM (all up) is there enough room to get any maps into memory as well as a mapping program?

Do you suggest any software? My requirements aren’t too sophisticated. For instance I won’t be wanting to use routing software or having voice directions. Just something that will tell me where I am on a map.

With it's limited memory will the 1710 allow me to have enough map loaded at any one time? Could I load up a different map each evening say? I believe I can live with any slowness and I’m happy to make sure that the map software is the only thing running when I am using it. I think that the limitation of having to change maps on and off my SD card as I change regions / countries is something I'm prepared to live with, certainly in the short term.

If I can live with limited performance will it happen?

Thanks
John Metcalfe
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother. It just doesn't have enough memory for that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin is correct that PDA is budget and does not have anywhere near the memory requirements, I have seen a couple of SDIO GPS receivers and I think they look they could break very easily. Especially if you are as clumsy as me and drop your PDA on a regular basis
Metsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your earlier comments. I guess I've taken your advise on board 'cause I’ve now pretty much decided I need to upgrade my PDA. I think an iPaq 2215 sounds about the go. It has a 400Mhz processor, 64Mb Ram and two slots, Secure Digital and Compact Flash. I’ll then buy an SDIO GPS unit. The GlobalSat SD-501 seems like it will do the job at a pretty reasonable price. This way I’ll be able to buy a large CF card (and CF is about the cheapest memory) for installing my maps. I like the idea of SDIO because I’m hoping to buy an O2 XDA phone when they become affordable, and they have an SDIO slot.

Does this sound like a system that’ll work?

Then comes the software decision. I think I'll ask a question or two about that separately.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the 2215 is the same as the 2210, there have been some issues there with the SD interface working very slowly. My navigation software crashed regularly when loaded in SD but it's fine in CF.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: