Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom pricing chaos?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom pricing chaos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth kit for an HP2210. It works extremely well and I am very pleased with it. However, I was under the assumption that the UK version included ‘Major Roads of Europe’. It doesn’t and I am p*ssed off. I tried ‘Preferences > Switch Map and only ‘Great Britain’ is available.

I paid around £200 for TTN5, UK maps & BT GPS RX.

If I upgrade (TomTom website > TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth > Accessories > ‘Maps of Western Europe for NAVIGATOR 5’ @ Euros149) I can have TTN5, UK maps, European Maps & BT GPS RX for £302.

I can also buy ‘TTN5 Software only Europe’ for £137 (Euros199). So the TomTom GPS receiver costs £165 does it? Seems a bit high to me... Evil or Very Mad
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have updated their site today as I've been waiting for the maps to be released 8O

I went the same route as you, which clearly is the most expensive way of getting TTN5 BT with all the maps Rolling Eyes
Brightlands100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty hacked off too. I recently paid PDAMods £135 for Navigator 5 GB maps on a 128MB SD card and soon you'll be able to buy the maps for the whole of Europe including GB for £139 from Global Positioning Systems. Tom Tom shouldn't be allowed to get away with this marketing procedure.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightlands100 wrote:
I'm pretty hacked off too. I recently paid PDAMods £135 for Navigator 5 GB maps on a 128MB SD card and soon you'll be able to buy the maps for the whole of Europe including GB for £139 from Global Positioning Systems. Tom Tom shouldn't be allowed to get away with this marketing procedure.

Those of us who upgraded from TT3 to TT5 got the GB maps plus all the maps for Europe on 6 CDs for £50 (including p&p)
Brightlands100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, which is another reason why I'm hacked off! :x
Horndean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. I bought a PDA with TomTom Navigator 5 including the GB map. I'd like to buy just the maps of Spain & Portugal I don't need them on a sd card as I have a 1gb card already and I don't need the rest of Europe.

TomTom should allow you to download just the maps you require not those I'm never going to use. That can't be to difficult to setup, it's only software.
jewelcrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 5 Full European Maps Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 5 full european maps includes 18 countries and compatible with both TomTom Go and Navigator 5

http://www.e-bowl.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2200
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

Countryman wrote:
Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth kit for an HP2210. It works extremely well and I am very pleased with it. However, I was under the assumption that the UK version included ‘Major Roads of Europe’. It doesn’t and I am p*ssed off. I tried ‘Preferences > Switch Map and only ‘Great Britain’ is available.

I paid around £200 for TTN5, UK maps & BT GPS RX.

If I upgrade (TomTom website > TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth > Accessories > ‘Maps of Western Europe for NAVIGATOR 5’ @ Euros149) I can have TTN5, UK maps, European Maps & BT GPS RX for £302.

I can also buy ‘TTN5 Software only Europe’ for £137 (Euros199). So the TomTom GPS receiver costs £165 does it? Seems a bit high to me... Evil or Very Mad

the software only package does not include a license to use tomtom navigator (or the application). you need to buy a country specific pack plus the maps of euriope

the reason the ugrades are cheap is that we have all ready shelled out the big bucks when we first purchased tomtom.

In my case I paid £150 (not including my gps receiver) for navigator 1 and have now upgraded to 2 (when I paid a further £130 for maps of WE) then 3 and 5 at discounts.

As for major routes of europe not being included - this is a bummer - but tomtom never said they had included it - if you brought it from a web site which said it was included it's the retailer who's to blame.

With tomtom at least you get very good prices on the upgrades (far far better than anyone else out there) and they often thrown in extra's for good measure (like full european maps with the upgrades).

Also I managed to buy 2 cheap upgrades using my tomtom 3 code and my tomtom 3 mwe code so I now have tomtom running on 2 pocket pc's fully licensed with full euro mapping.

As for the price of the bt receiver as these have ssIII chipsets they are probably worth around £130 - £150 (if you ignore ebay prices).

I just wish people would stop bitching about how much they paid - no one made them! For me and most others it is a very good value tool. Tonight I drive down to spain and then back through france and may skirt Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium before I return - I don't have an upto date european atlas and won't need to buy street maps of the 10 major cities I'm visiting - this technology is incredibly useful and great value.

Rant over - holiday awaits.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
the software only package does not include a license to use tomtom navigator (or the application). you need to buy a country specific pack plus the maps of euriope

Eh, I think your confusing the Software Only package with the Maps of Western Europe one. If the Software Only package doesn't include a license to use Navigator then there would be no point to it as you would in effect be buying just the maps, which of course is what the Maps of Western Europe package is.

The problem I, and I assume other people have, is there doesn't seem to be any logic in TomTom's pricing. I'm happy with TTN5, which seemed good value at £190 for Navigator 5, BT GPS reciever and the UK maps. Now for me to get a map of France to use with it I need to buy the Maps of Western Europe for an additional £ 102.00, which to my mind is very expensive.
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you worked for TomTom......
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
Now for me to get a map of France to use with it I need to buy the Maps of Western Europe for an additional £ 102.00, which to my mind is very expensive.

Taz, Have you seen this thread? sschelle says you can buy the Go maps for France and they should work:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24897&start=0

To be honest though, I dont think its going to work out at much less than £102. You might as well spend a little more and get the whole of Europe.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

[quote="Maxi"]
TazUk wrote:
Taz, Have you seen this thread?

I have and as you say the price difference between that and the MoWE is negligible and only further highlights TomTom's strange pricing policy Rolling Eyes
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom pricing chaos? Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:

I have and as you say the price difference between that and the MoWE is negligible and only further highlights TomTom's strange pricing policy Rolling Eyes

They're not the only ones that do this though. Navman charge £149 for an unlock code for the whole of Europe - on their SmartST software - and £79 for each individual country (you get the maps with the original purchase but you need to buy unlock codes to view them). As we've said Tomtom works out at £100 for the CDs for the whole of Europe (cheaper if you dont go direct) and £70 for each individual region - each one on its own SD card.

It seems a bit expensive to us new Tomtom users because those who upgraded from previous versions only had to pay about £60 for the software and all the maps (even if they only had one region before), but then maybe Tomtom should be applauded for looking after their loyal customers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: