Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's Upgrade Policy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's Upgrade Policy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom's Upgrade Policy Reply with quote

TomTom have advised me that they do not offer any upgrade from Navigator 2 to v3. They may or my not offer an upgrade to the next version. (If they do it will be at double the price.)

Most software companies do offer upgrade routes to their customers. A few, because of market dominance or arrogance, only allow upgrades for several years, in order to force customers to upgrade continuously whether they wish to or not. (Autodesk comes to mind...) It seems TomTom think only in months.

I normally prefer to wait until a new release is proved to be stable, especially with something like a navigation product where crashes or a GPS drop-outs could be very inconvenient. (I've only just installed WinXP Service Pack 2.)

I accept that a software company can determine their own upgrade policy, but TomTom's policy seems an effective way of alienating customers.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom did in-fact offer an upgrade policy from Nav2 to Nav3, but as always it's time limited and only available for 2-3 months after the release of the new software. if you haven't upgraded within this time, the tail off on upgrades is substantial and it's just not worth the time and effort for them to offer the upgrade.

Upgrades are usually around 49 euro's / £30. Whether there will be an upgrade to the next release is obviously down to TomTom. It has already been released as the HP iPAQ Navigation System but bundled with GPS and PDA. Whether there will be a software only version and upgrade is down to TomTom at the end of the day.

CeBit is just around the corner in March, so watch for announcements there.
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
... as always it's time limited and only available for 2-3 months after the release of the new software.

If that is normal for TomTom it is not, thankfully, normal for most software companies. I wonder how long it took to be certain that the bugs in the new version had been pinned down.

Quote:
...if you haven't upgraded within this time, the tail off on upgrades is substantial and it's just not worth the time and effort for them to offer the upgrade.

What time and effort? Disabling the facility must itself take time and effort. Most reputable software companies think it is worth keeping an upgrade route to retain their customers. I am very disappointed in TomTom's attitude.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have taken advantage of the upgrade but held off on its installation if stability concerns were the issue.
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I could. But whether or not I'd wish to bet money up front on a company being able to fix bugs does not affect the fact that TomTom's upgrade policy is very poor in comparison with most software companies, who do not withdraw upgrade routes after a few months.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the GPS arena TomTom's upgrade policy is actually the best of them all. Some do not offer any discounts on version upgrades at all.
PeterJD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If correct, that is not reassuring. I hope this website advocates good practice rather than defends the bad by accepting as a norm the worst.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: