Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inaccurate Fix !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inaccurate Fix !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidpix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Inaccurate Fix !! Reply with quote

After reading the review 8O on pocketgpsworld.com regarding the Globalsat BT-308 I decided to buy the nect model up the BT-318 Smile

Loking at the various pricing of the item in the UK ranging from £150 - £250 Rolling Eyes - I decided to look across the waters :P

I managed to source one from Semsons.com for about £100 including a free vent mount, :D which arrived in 3 days :D :D

Now I've connected it to my XDA2s and can connect via GPS Info which gives me a fix of up to 8 sats INDOORS, I was itching to try it with Memory Map Navigator 2004 OS.

As this is primarily what it is going to be used for (hidden in the top of my rucksack with the OS 1:25k maps on my XDA2s.

The problem is that when I am connecting to the GPS via MM2004 the fix is jumping all around the screen (200m in each direction). whilst I accept that there should be some fluctuation when the GPS is static I wouldn't have expected this much.

I have changed my settings from 2400 / 4800 / 38400 etc but to no avail.

I have also enabled / disabled WAAS/EGNOS but no difference.

Anyone got any ideas Question

I am currently waiting for some other software to try but really, I would like to use the OS maps if possible.

Thanks

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you haven't accidentially switched the map datum from WGS84.

Keep the speed at 38400 - that's the least trouble for BT GPS

Do not try to use SiRF protocol. Stay with NMEA.

If it keeps jumping around, take the abttery out and let it sit for a few hours. The factory reset should get it back to normal.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
vidpix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all that you suggest (I did try some of them before posting).

MM2004 OS was set to British National Grid, but even when changed to WGS84 - no change in the cursor jumping around)

Baud was set to 38400 both in GPSInfo and MM2004 OS

I am using GPSGATE to split the comm ports, but it was doing the same before GPSGATE was installed - so I can't think it is that.

I did run the batt down to 0 then kept the BT GPS on for another 24 hrs, just in case it was in SIRF mode, but the data being received in GPSInfo appears to be NMEA data - So I don't think it is that either.

I will have to wait for Autoroute to arrive then try that, but I really wanted to use the OS maps, as this is the primary reason for buying it (walking in the lake district and planning routes in advance)

Thanks for the suggestion though

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: